How to make Gelatin?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking of adding it to Turkey's wet food, for his joints. Can I use any bones? Like rib bones?

Last edited:

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh I like this question! I am also thinking of adding it to my homemade food because I don't use bone. I was planning on just purchasing organic gelatin from the nutrition store, but if there's an easy way to make it I'm also interested!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I googled how to make it, but I don't know if any of the recipes on Google is the correct way to make it. So I decided to ask here.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There might be something here:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gelatin is from connective tissues, not bones. Your cheapest and easiest way to extract gelatin is to make meat stock and the best thing to make meat stock with, if your cat has no sensitivities to chicken, is chicken feet. Lots of joints and you can get a lot into the bottom of a crock pot. I like to use a quart (4 cups) of water because I have a quart glass I like to pour my strained stock in to set up like meat jello. It helps me see the fat layer that's going to rise to the top and needs to be skimmed off after it's set. So then the amount of meaty bones I use is how many I can get into a crock pot that a quart of water still covers. About three turkey wings if I have the butcher whack them a few times and I strip most of the meat off at home. The saved raw meat I can grind, add supplements, and make food for Krista. I leave some meat on the bones because that's going to come out so tender and delicious for her. I like to supply her with both raw meat ("turkey sashimi") and cooked meat as well as stock. And the next food batch I make, I will substitute some of the water with meat stock instead of using gelatin from a packet.

Meat stock is the strained liquid from stage one in the recipe and video in this link. It is not necessary to continue to bone broth. All the same stuff is in meat stock, just not as concentrated. Which turns out to be a good thing in some cats (same as some people) who are sensitive to the glutamates extracted in larger amounts in bone broth. They are not as problematic in meat stock. Don't skip the apple cider vinegar though. Adding just enough acid to your meaty bones and using as little water as you need to will be the difference between a tasty meat jello treat and a runny snot-like stock that my Krista walks away from.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Gelatin is from connective tissues, not bones. Your cheapest and easiest way to extract gelatin is to make meat stock and the best thing to make meat stock with, if your cat has no sensitivities to chicken, is chicken feet. Lots of joints and you can get a lot into the bottom of a crock pot. I like to use a quart (4 cups) of water because I have a quart glass I like to pour my strained stock in to set up like meat jello. It helps me see the fat layer that's going to rise to the top and needs to be skimmed off after it's set. So then the amount of meaty bones I use is how many I can get into a crock pot that a quart of water still covers. About three turkey wings if I have the butcher whack them a few times and I strip most of the meat off at home. The saved raw meat I can grind, add supplements, and make food for Krista. I leave some meat on the bones because that's going to come out so tender and delicious for her. I like to supply her with both raw meat ("turkey sashimi") and cooked meat as well as stock. And the next food batch I make, I will substitute some of the water with meat stock instead of using gelatin from a packet.

Meat stock is the strained liquid from stage one in the recipe and video in this link. It is not necessary to continue to bone broth. All the same stuff is in meat stock, just not as concentrated. Which turns out to be a good thing in some cats (same as some people) who are sensitive to the glutamates extracted in larger amounts in bone broth. They are not as problematic in meat stock. Don't skip the apple cider vinegar though. Adding just enough acid to your meaty bones and using as little water as you need to will be the difference between a tasty meat jello treat and a runny snot-like stock that my Krista walks away from.

Cool, thanks.

Collagen is what’s missing from my cats’ diet because there is no bone marrow, so the gelatin would serve as a substitute for that.

Honestly though, I’m too lazy to even make my own eggshell powder, so I’ll probably just buy some gelatin.:agree:

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool, thanks.

Collagen is what’s missing from my cats’ diet because there is no bone marrow, so the gelatin would serve as a substitute for that.

Honestly though, I’m too lazy to even make my own eggshell powder, so I’ll probably just buy some gelatin.:agree:
Instant pot! I can make a batch in an hour now. If I reserve a small amount to a small container, it can set up and be ready to serve in a few hours after that.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 I have purchased some powdered gelatin.... curious to know how you add yours to your batch? Do you mix with water and freeze with the batch? Do you put extra water so it doesnt get all jelly? Do you mix with warm/hot water first and then let it cool before adding? I'm just trying to figure out how to add it without it making the food super jelly-like.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 I have purchased some powdered gelatin.... curious to know how you add yours to your batch? Do you mix with water and freeze with the batch? Do you put extra water so it doesnt get all jelly? Do you mix with warm/hot water first and then let it cool before adding? I'm just trying to figure out how to add it without it making the food super jelly-like.
Are you making homemade or trying to add gelatin to canned?

For homemade, I just add the powdered gelatin to the powders plus water slurry before mixing in the meat. I’m not sure if it sets up like jello because the gelatin isn’t warming up into solution and then cooling again. If you make meat stock in an Instant Pot with raw meaty bones, it will take 1 hour under pressure to make the stock and a few hours in the fridge to setup like jello. Then the jello I will feed to Krista right out of the fridge. I used to anyway. She’s got something sore in her mouth and doesn’t like it cold from the fridge anymore. I will mix the meat stock into the homemade in the baggie I use to water thaw the portion to “mouse temp.”

I have never tried to add gelatin to canned. I suppose you could mix it in cold. It doesn’t need to set up to still get the nutritional benefits.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Are you making homemade or trying to add gelatin to canned?

For homemade, I just add the powdered gelatin to the powders plus water slurry before mixing in the meat. I’m not sure if it sets up like jello because the gelatin isn’t warming up into solution and then cooling again. If you make meat stock in an Instant Pot with raw meaty bones, it will take 1 hour under pressure to make the stock and a few hours in the fridge to setup like jello. Then the jello I will feed to Krista right out of the fridge. I used to anyway. She’s got something sore in her mouth and doesn’t like it cold from the fridge anymore. I will mix the meat stock into the homemade in the baggie I use to water thaw the portion to “mouse temp.”

I have never tried to add gelatin to canned. I suppose you could mix it in cold. It doesn’t need to set up to still get the nutritional benefits.
Thanks! I'm wanting to add it to my homemade raw batch. I wasn't sure if I could just add it directly to my water/yolk/powder slurry and whether I would need to add extra water to the slurry to keep it from turning into jelly.

So it won't go all jelly-like if it doesn't warm up first? And it's fine to freeze with the rest of my batch too?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'm wanting to add it to my homemade raw batch. I wasn't sure if I could just add it directly to my water/yolk/powder slurry and whether I would need to add extra water to the slurry to keep it from turning into jelly.

So it won't go all jelly-like if it doesn't warm up first? And it's fine to freeze with the rest of my batch too?
No extra water is needed. No cooking is needed. It shouldn’t turn into jelly. It remains a slurpable texture which is excellent for my hopefully-soon-to-be-but-not-quite-yet-toothless cat. I think her last remaining canine is bothering her to the point where she only wants to eat the homemade. Probably because she can pick it up with her tongue instead of her teeth (tooth?)

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
No extra water is needed. No cooking is needed. It shouldn’t turn into jelly. It remains a slurpable texture which is excellent for my hopefully-soon-to-be-but-not-quite-yet-toothless cat. I think her last remaining canine is bothering her to the point where she only wants to eat the homemade. Probably because she can pick it up with her tongue instead of her teeth (tooth?)
Awesome, this is very helpful!

Poor girl! It's good that she's at least eating though.