How To Make Cat Fluffy Again?

purplesnitch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Minnie used to be quite fluffy and had a lot of fur, but these past few months she has lost a lot of fur (especially on her tail) and some weight too. I think it's stress because we were busy moving into a new house. She's a pretty young cat, about 4 years old.

Are there any supplements or vitamins or something that will help her? I would take her to the vet, but she's eating and behaving perfectly normally. ‍♀ I am giving her more food than usual... But I don't know what else to do.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I don't know that this will help with fur regrowth, that may just take time, but I found that fish oil didn't really do anything. What really made a difference is sardines, mackerel and also fancy feasts' (applaws has some too) tuna filets, in moderation. These make my boy's skin and coat less dry, less likely to mat and prettier :)

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Was this happening before the move at all, or just once you moved? And, how long has it been? It could be stress due to the move, but then you should see positive signs of change the longer you get past the move.

The weight loss is most concerning part of this. While I realize cats can slow down their eating in stressful times, I am not getting the sense that this is true with your girl considering you are saying you are actually feeding her more because of the weight loss. That would make me think she must be eating all of her 'normal' amount of food, plus the additional amount you are now giving her.

How did you determine she has lost weight? Do you weigh her, or are you gauging it by sight? If only by sight, it would seem it would have to be a fair amount of weight loss for you to pick up on it visually.

I think you would do yourself (and her) a favor and get a check up with your vet. A lot of times a simple symptom or two, along with a cat's ability to be very stoic, masks a health problem that then becomes a much bigger issue when it gets worse without being addressed.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would take her to the vet, but she's eating and behaving perfectly normally. ‍♀ I am giving her more food than usual... But I don't know what else to do.
Losing weight, along with the fur loss, is a bit concerning, especially since you are giving her more food than usual.

Is it the same food she always ate? If not, perhaps there's less calories than in the old food, which means eating more wouldn't necessarily keep her weight the same.

Since you're concerned about her, I think a vet checkup is a good idea, just to ensure all is well.