how to make a cat eat from a slow feeder?

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i bought a slow feeder but it seemed my cat had a really hard time eating from it. so then i bought a different one that would seem to be a little easier, this one she doesnt really try to eat from it. she can eat from it unlike the other one but for some reason shes refusing to eat from it. any ideas? maybe tough love? treats in the feeder?

1st feeder ---- >
515T5w6SfTL._SL1000_.jpg
2nd feeder ---- >
61Q3bKVDMLL._SL1010_.jpg

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have never seen those but I understand the principle. I had a horse once who bolted her grain. It was pretty amazing, she would just open her mouth and push it all the way to the bottom of the grain bucket and pack herself full. She finished it in no time, which was not good. I tried slowing her down by putting a half dozen baseball and golf ball size rocks on top of the grain. That lasted about 3 days. She learned to just dump the bucket over and vacuum everything up from the ground. So what I had to do is just stand there and put a little bit in the bucket at a time. It was the only thing that worked. And by being there I could also prevent her from going over to the other horses buckets and finishing off their grain, which apparently was one of the reasons she learned to finish as fast as possible to begin with. She could steel it from the others before they finished.
Maybe if you tried using a bunch of smaller dishes with a little bit in each one it would keep her moving and slow down the gorging.