How to litter train a cat (who has spent a year living outside)

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi cat lovers!

We are adopting a feral cat (although he is calmer and friendlier than many domestic cats I know!). We live in an apartment block, that backs onto the courtyard where the cat, in the main lives. He is almost a year old now. I go and collect him from downstairs twice a day and we are gradually introducing him to our flat and our other cat, extending the period he remains inside each time. I have purchased a cat litter tray, with some litter, specifically for him, but he hasn't used it yet. How may I encourage him to do so? Thanks

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try putting some unfertilized gardening soil on top of the litter. Or some leaves and twigs from outside.
Or try Cat Attract Litter: Dr. Elsey’s Cat Attract™ Cat Litter - the litter cats love™
Good luck. And thanks for giving him a home.:petcat:

Oh... has he been neutered yet?

Also, was he vet checked before introducing him to your resident cat? If not, probably want to do that ensure he has his shots, dewormed, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Ruby's mama. Yes neutered, jabbed, and tested for disease before coming indoors... (Our 5-year old cat already at home was sterilized a long time ago)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess, over time, you increase the mix of litter and reduce the gardening soil? Or always maintain it in this way?Thanks

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, that's just till he gets the idea of what a litter box is for. And generally they catch on fast.

James&Taki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he simply not using the litter box? Or is he eliminating in other places rather than using the litter box? If he is not eliminating in unwanted places, I would assume he just hasn't needed to go while in your apartment yet.

Though if he is eliminating in unwanted places while avoiding the litter box, some things that can make cats avoidant of the litter box are: 1) too-small litter box. 2) litter-catching mat or litter box liner that they don't like the feel of. 3) you might need to experiment more with different types of litter. Good luck!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
All kittens/cats I have rescued automatically know how to use the litter box. It is possible the kitten does not like the box,the litter,the location, or if it's covered. Kittens I took care of on my porch used the flower pots! They like to cover thier poo/pee. Peaches was found in a hole 5 weeks old. She immediately was attracted to it, maybe too much at first. She played in it