How To Know When Contagion Threat Has Passed?

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

I recently adopted a stray who was hanging out in my yard in June, when I noticed a very small amount of green discharge from his eyes, lethargy, underweight, hoarse meow, etc. I assume this indicates URI. I trapped him and had him vetted and neutered, and he's been in isolation in my spare bedroom for the last 12 days. Today is his last day of antibiotics.

My question is this: how do I know when the threat of contagion is passed? New cat's symptoms are gone, other than his nose is still wet - not runny, just wet like a dog's nose. I don't know what's normal for cats. My resident cat's nose is usually cold but not wet. ?
Anyway, new guy has put on weight, regained energy, hasn't had eye discharge since the beginning of July. He did sneeze a few days ago, but I've read that sneezing can persist even after the URI is over. I would like to start scent swapping, but not if he is still contagious. How do you decide when the your cats are clear? Thanks for your input!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you are anxious for them to meet but take your time. You can bring scent in to Finn but wait a little longer to take anything to Charlie. The antibiotics should have cleared up the URI but you really want to make sure the discharge does not return. Sometimes it does take a second round. A wet nose may not indicate anything. I just did a nose check here for you! :lol: Two moist. They looked at me verrrry funny when I did the nose check! To be safe...... wait at least a few days. A quick call to your vet can confirm best. :hellocomputer:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
but you really want to make sure the discharge does not return. Sometimes it does take a second round.
Okay, that is really good info, thank you Jcatbird Jcatbird !! I didn't realize these things try to make a comeback. And thanks for doing the nose-check test for me. Now that's taking one for the team! :lol:

Since your vet has his medical history and has been treating him you should trust them and feel free to ask any pertinent questions.
I should call my vet, yet I hate to tie up their already crazy phones on a Friday when they're dealing with more pressing issues. I will wait just a bit longer. Thank you ladies for your input! :)