how to keep strays out of your car engine?

biancaboo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just introduced a new stray kitten ( you can read about her in my previous thread) named Schroeder (and yes she does love boxes) to our year old cat Bianca. However before we were able to gain her trust she was living in a mobile cat crate and our car engine (when it was warm) outside. That ment every time we would leave we would have to check under the hood. This morning I received a phone call from my husband that he had broken down in town (heading to pick me up from work). Come to find out the cat had worked on pulling loose the oxigen sensor as well as a couple of other wires. We believe when he got a bump it came loose. My husband picked up some black electrical tape to make sure it doesn't happen again. However, how can I discouraged other cats and kittens from playing "mechanic" under the hood of our car? We live in a rual area and we let strays use our barns to keep warm and sheltered in return for catching all the field nice that get into grain,etc.

Does anyone have and similar stories to share?

When all was said and done and knowing that kitten was not harmed nor us it was a bit impressive and a little humorous that the kitten knew what wires to start pulling.

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found a six month old kitten up under my car last summer also.  I was to lazy to lock my car up in the garage that night.  The only thing I can think of is spraying citrus. I have never used it, but some spray in their Christmas trees to keep cats out of it. There is no way to block the entrances to the car itself.