How To Keep My Cat Away From The Kitchen Table In A Small Apartment?

vanstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am getting a kitten soon. I live in a small studio apartment where there is no door for the kitchen. I am worried that the kitten might jump on the kitchen table which might hurt him. So I wonder what should I do in this situation. Also, I read for a kitten, we should put him in a safe room for the first week, but my apartment is very small. Should I keep him in my bathroom or just let him be in the bedroom with me?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since it is a small studio apartment, I wouldn't worry about limiting the kitten to a smaller area. That is usually recommended when you have a larger amount of space and the kitten could get lost. Just look around for holes into cabinets, walls or into the springs under your bed. Small spaces you wouldn't want him getting into basically and block as much as possible.

As to kitchen counters, I've always just told my guys a firm no and take them off every single time. They get the hint eventually, and I do mean eventually. It usually takes a good year or reinforcing before they stay off it most of the time. It can help to have cat trees or shelves around so there are high places they are allowed. But I've always kept mine off any food surface just for sanitary reasons.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on your soon to be adoption of a new kitten. :bouquet: Do post pictures once he/she is home. :camera:

TCS has some articles for first time cat owners, which I'll post links to below.

About the kitten jumping on the kitten table, my bigger concern would be him jumping on the stovetop. Therefore, if once he's home, he seems likely to leap onto the counters, table or stove, I'd put him in your bedroom when you have the stove on.

Here are the links to the articles:
How To Keep Cats Off Counters And Tables
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat
Cats And Discipline Don't Mix

15 Things You Should Know Before Adopting A Cat
First-time Cat Owner's Guide
New Cat Checklist: What You Need To Get Before Bringing Kitty Home
Care Of Cats - The Responsible Way
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips