How To Keep Him From Jumping Into Windows

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat spends part of each day outside in a fenced in area that adjoins our house and porch. He has now started jumping up into the windows. The windows are more than five feet high. I watched him getting down one day. He starts down head first and then jumps. I once had a cat who ruptured his diaphragm jumping down from a high place and he had to be put down. I don't want this to happen to my cat. Does any one know a good way to stop a cat from doing this once he has learned it.

jinxybean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is on the outside of the house? Can you put a planter or object below the window for kitty to use as a jumping mid-point? (I'm not a big help on denying cats their pleasures...) :D

I think the only way to discourage jumping is to make the window ledge unpleasant or inaccessible, like keeping the window closed so there's nowhere to land.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess nobody else has had to deal with this. I realize not that many people here have cats with access to the outdoors, but I was hoping for some suggestions. For now, we have lined the window sills on the outside with soda cans filled with water. Somebody told me the noise and the water will scare the cat enough they won't try it more than one time. So far it is working. I saw Snoop sitting below the dining room window with the most disgusted look on his face. He was staring up at the window he loves to sit in and didn't like what he saw there. Later I saw him under the office window on the top of the AC unit there looking up at that can lined window with the same disgusted look. I hope he won't try it again and that he will forget about the windows. The back porch is still covered in pollen. I am trying to wait for pollen to stop falling before I spray it out and clean everything. Once that is done, we can sit out there some with him during the day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Snoop just had to try it again. I didn't see him do it, but two or three of the cans on the dining room window were overturned with water spilled. We refilled them and sat them back on the window ledge. He didn't hurt himself doing it and he has not tried it again. The pollen has stopped falling. My screened porch has been thoroughly sprayed with water, including all furniture. We can sit there some with Snoop. He is getting some much needed attention after a long period of cold and pollen.