How to keep cat off the table?

allenboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all.

I live with two roommates in an apartment - one girl is great, the other girl is okay but can be an anal PITA because she thinks everything needs to be done her way, her way is the best way, etc.

Anyway, she's giving me grief because the kitchen table belongs to her, and aparently she has caught Allen up on in it looking out the window or just laying and napping. She's claiming that his back claws are causing scratches on the wood surface (he's front declawed).

I received a rather nasty text this message stating "Hey i know I'ev asked before but I'm asking again can you please not let Allen on my table." I texted back that I never LET him on the table; when I see him up there I shout NO and shoo him off.

But whatever, I'm willing to cater to her ridiculous notions to keep the peace until I move out in July. She says absolutely no double-sided sticky tape, because that will obviously damage the table more than it already is
So, besides keeping the chairs pushed under all the way and moving anything he can use to jump up, any suggestions from those wiser than myself?

I don't know what she expects me to do during the day when I'm either gone at class or at work, but whatever!

justjayde

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it's only a short while until you move out - when the table is not in use put a heavy quilt/blanket over the table so when he does sneak up there is a padded layer between his nails and the wood. Tell her that is the best you can do. You can also trim kitties back nails with nail scissors to dull them

nedgar08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've used Ssscat spray and that's worked well for our table and countertops. We also used it to keep them out of our bedroom at night, and after one night they stopped trying to come in.

The only annoying thing is if you forget to turn it off when you want to be in the kitchen or walk into the bedroom, the spray goes off on you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allenboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why didn't I think of a table cloth?

I'll text her highness and see if that would work for her.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AllenBoy

Why didn't I think of a table cloth?

I'll text her highness and see if that would work for her.

LOL - good luck! Sorry she's a PITA.
Dog people!

(I kid, I kid!)

rhen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let me know if that works!!! 2 out of 3 of mine are napping on my table as we speak!!!!!!!

kimb00p

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitties would jump on the table as well when we first got it. I would just spray them from across the room with a water bottle and they don't get on it anymore.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ssscat will work but it's pretty pricey and I'm not sure if you wouldn't need 2 of them to be effective. A pad or tablecloth would work fine or maybe if the table is not real big have a piece of glass cut for the top of it.

I will never forget the time I had 22 relatives over for Thanksgiving years ago. One relative is a total cat hater and every time she had been to my home previously she was always making stupid remarks like, "I'd get rid of that cat" or "Cats are filthy" etc. After one particularly irritating visit with her, I simply told her she was no longer welcome in my home. The Thanksgiving was long after that incident and I invited her with a gentle warning that I would not tolerate any of her negativity. Well, the relative got here an hour early (as usual). As I was setting the tables I noticed a horrified look on her face and looked to see what had her in such a tizzy. My cat Hoot was on the dining room table eating off of a stick of butter. Without saying a word, I gently put Hoot on the floor, lobbed off the end of the butter Hoot was snacking on and threw it away leaving the rest of the stick of butter on the table. I thought she was going to die. Seriously. But she did not say a word. Not one word

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One is enough, as the cat won't figure out that it is directional and after getting hit once or twice will avoid it. Aim the trigger away from you and you can walk up to it to turn it off. Honestly, after a few times you can leave it off but just leave it up there as a deterrent.

I'd be understanding though. Even from just a hygiene standpoint, I can understand people not wanting pets where they eat, especially if they just accidentally stepped on their own poop in the litterbox. The table can also start to accumulate fur, and then with a breeze it can end up in your food... been there, done that. Personally, I just keep the placemats put away for that reason, but let them up there so they can hang out with me while I'm eatin'.