how to keep cat off lizard cage?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the cage is on a metal aquarium stand.. the cat jumps right on top of it from the ground.

Are wax worms something you'd reccommend to help get fat back on an underfed reptile?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nekkiddoglady

Are wax worms something you'd reccommend to help get fat back on an underfed reptile?
No. Because it's empty calories besides fat. Crickets, small mealworms, and small roaches are the best for small lizards like that. If you're not careful and too much weight is put on, and worse you create a picky lizard they can go off food and you face dealing with hepatic lipidosis. I bet you didn't know that reptiles could get that, too.

One thing you might try, for a treat, is small amounts of fruit baby food - no sugar added, of course. Apricots and peaches are usually well liked. While it won't give them much nutrients, you can hide vitamins in it.

You may just have to try to find a better alternative for a stand. But again, sex them and then worry about caging and how you'll cat proof it. There's no sense in going through a lot of trouble now if you're going to have to turn right around and separate them.
One option is to get a used 40+ gal aquarium and use a solid divider. If there are two males you don't want them seeing each other.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did not know that anoles would eat baby food fruits? Or do they just only lick a little, kind of like how they lick water off leaves?

I knew reptiles can get "picky".. I knew a guy who was really into snakes and he explained to me why rats and mice are preferred to use over hamsters and gerbils... said the meat is sweeter and the snake may develop a preference and get too picky to eat rats or mice.

Might have to see if the petshop carries roaches for food.. I know mealworms are typically carried at most petshops... and crickets are generally considered a staple.

Cant quite figure out the sex.. they dont have the dewlap on the throat, but I dont see the white stripe down the back either. They are about the same size.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^I wouldn't say "long life", without knowing the anoles age.
To be grammatically correct I meant as long of a life as possible with good care

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, they like some fruits. How much they like it is individual taste. Some will lick a little and others really love it.

Take some pictures, from above and behind through the glass. If the pictures are clear eenough I'll tell you what you have

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll try to get pics.. We dont have a working camera, all I have is my cell phone.