How To Introduce Toys And Which Ones ?

phillyman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

As some have read elsewhere I have a new stray. I was wondering how to engage her with toys? She has energy and once in while will like to play with hand or likes to run around and "chase" me. I bought a couple of toys and she seems more scared than anything. I also don't want to "force" her to play. One of my previous cats played with anything and the other only had disdain for them. Along those lines..... Should I just get a bunch and leave them around OR ????

I'm fine with her not playing but thought she might need/like the engagement.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It's entirely possible your newly adopted cat needs some time to adjust. Although I wouldn't push her to play I think you are headed in the right direction by trying to introduce her to new toys. I personally would not get a bunch of toys and just leave them out without supervision.

Here is an excellent Article about choosing cat toys that may be helpful for you:
How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat

Good luck and I hope you and your cat find the perfect compromise. :goodluck:

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
If she has never seen toys, she may not know what they are or what to do with them. But that wouldn’t stop me from setting out a variety to see if one of them interests her. Catnip toys, particularly a Yeoww brand catnip toy, would be my first choice because most cats love catnip, can’t help but roll on it and it calms them. Then I would try something like a track ball where there is movement. Then a few mouse toys and cat springs.

I would set them out and leave them alone for her to explore on her own. If she is nervous about them, any interaction by you might make it worse.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista loves the Cat Dancer. I can set it up so it's essentially mounted (it sticks out of a storage bin and it's weighted inside the bin) and she'll go to town on it whether I'm there or not. You can also tie a shoelace to the back of a chair. Krista loved this one when I still had a dining room set.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi,
She has energy and once in while will like to play with hand or likes to run around and "chase" me. I bought a couple of toys and she seems more scared than anything. I also don't want to "force" her to play. Along those lines..... Should I just get a bunch and leave them around OR ????
What kind of toys have you tried?

With fearful strays I usually put a few toys around and let them explore them. I second the yeoww catnip banana. Laser pointers are also great for fearful cats as long as they are past the stage of socialization where they fixate on your hand and movements you make. Lasers are good because they don't make sound. There's no noise or texture or smell to make a cat nervous.

My other go to toys are crinkly fabric toys (sometimes petco has these flat fish that are crinkly and all the rescues tend to love them), crinkly balls, ping pong balls, spring toys. Leave a few out and walk away so the cat can approach them to smell or perhaps bat them. Usually they bat them to figure out what they are (if they will fight back) and then realizing it rolls or crinkles they'll engage in play.

Wand toys like the cat dancer are great but they can be scary to an already nervous cat so start with slow gentle movements in a smaller area. It might not be enough to get the cat interested in playing but once they are bored around the new toy you've moved past fear and can start going faster.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phillyman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got her a taco filled with cat nip, a ball with a bell inside and a 45 degree scratching board with some holes and balls inside to play with. I agree with the general thread, out some out and she will get intrigued if bored. I had not thought of her (of course) not understanding toys! The catnip banana and some others will be in an area where she can play with the others as well.... whatever strikes her fancy!

Philly

meowpassion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All toys should be kept in one place, e.g in a box. You might choose one time to play with your cat, then she will know that it's "play time" In terms what toys she will like, I think only your cat knows, as it is very individual. Try different toys and finally you will see what toys your cat enjoys.

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Two toys we've used without fail:

Any kind of stick/feather (with no dingly ball or bells if your cat is skittish) and stick it under some reusable shopping bags. I've never met a cat who doesn't love pouncing/digging to get the prey. If you don't have bags, you can also use an old towel.

I also recommend Da Bird. At first, you can just drag it around the ground a bit quietly. When they get used to it, you can make it fly. If your cat has a high prey drive, they usually love it. One of mine will "kill" it and then go drop it in his food bowl!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm our semi-feral loves wand toys & ribbons (I remove the bells from all toys.) I would try dragging a shoelace in front of her, very slowly. If you have other cats, watching you play with them might be the best teacher.

:goodluck: