How to introduce postpartum cat to resident cat

Jackie&Louise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a stray cat a couple weeks ago that was pregnant (I call her Louise). Of course she has been kept separate from my other cat(Jackie) but I'm wondering how long I should wait before introducing the two. I'm not too concerned about Jackie, she likes other cats and she seems excited to meet her. Sweet little thing keeps taking her toys to the nursery door and leaving them for Louise. She meows and tries to entice her to play under the door. But I'm worried that Louise will be aggressive because of the kittens. Though when she lays on the other side of the door from her she has a very relaxed disposition (doesnt growl or hiss) Would it be best if the introduction waits until the kittens go to thier new homes?
She had the kittens a week ago, both female, both very close in size.

Attachments

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How lovely! It seems as though your 2 cats can't wait to meet each other. Maybe Jackie would be an adoring aunt to the new babies. But, it's better to be safe rather than sorry. I would definitely wait at least a few weeks before introducing them. The kittens should be healthy and strong, starting to eat kitten food - and definitely have no parasites before real contact is made. There's no need to wait till the kittens go to new homes but I think they should be well on their way to becoming independent before Louise is subjected to possible stress of introduction and is no longer able to feed her babies. Good luck and enjoy the kittens while you can!

Melissa0904

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is an interesting question. I had a stray that showed up two months ago and now I have 8 little babies! I have an inside cat, Gen. He is loving and wants to play all of the time. He loves playing tag with me and wants to play with mama cat when he is outside and she is outside. She is kept in the workshop with the babies. When they are both outside and he gets within a foot from her, she growls and hisses. She wasn't as defensive when she was pregnant. Is it because she has kittens now?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, that is exactly why. She is protecting her babies from “predators.” :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jackie&Louise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, that is exactly why. She is protecting her babies from “predators.” :)
Any idea how long that usually lasts? Until The babies get older, until the babies actually leave the house or until she is spayed? I want to be sure shes is out of "protection mode" before I begin the introduction process.

Jackie&Louise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is an interesting question. I had a stray that showed up two months ago and now I have 8 little babies! I have an inside cat, Gen. He is loving and wants to play all of the time. He loves playing tag with me and wants to play with mama cat when he is outside and she is outside. She is kept in the workshop with the babies. When they are both outside and he gets within a foot from her, she growls and hisses. She wasn't as defensive when she was pregnant. Is it because she has kittens now?
Awe sweet Gen! I'm going through the same thing. Jackie can not figure out why she's not allowed to play with the new cat yet. When were the kittens born?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It will last until they are weaned and her hormones reduce. It’s an especially powerful instinct when they are so little and still dependent on nursing from mom. :)

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any idea how long that usually lasts? Until The babies get older, until the babies actually leave the house or until she is spayed? I want to be sure shes is out of "protection mode" before I begin the introduction process.
Many years ago I had 3 cats (2 males and a female), all neutered indoor/outdoor cats. When a stray turned up, she only stayed on the patio long enough to be fed before disappearing again. I assumed my cats knew her. She began to stay around longer and was obviously pregnant. Not having a shed or anywhere suitable where she could safely have her kittens, I started leaving the cellar door open. I put a washing basket full of old towels inside an open cupboard. She found her way in, had 5 kittens in the cupboard after which, I let her into a more comfortable room in the cellar, but still away from my cats. She stayed there for perhaps 4 weeks and then I used to take them upstairs into my living room. Mother cat always followed but was never nervous. My female cat ignored all 6 of them, but the 2 male cats were very interested in the kittens. I thought the younger one was quite a bully to the kittens, but mother took very little notice and there was no squealing so I let them "play" . She wasn't spayed till the kittens had gone to new homes, but she did remain indoors. Today I would have got it done sooner.
This as not an example for you to follow exactly as my cats were already aware of the stray. There was no need to fear any problems. If they hadn't accepted her when they were outside together, they would have scared her away.
They often brought strays home - but this was the only female!

I would wait till the kittens are at least running around and eating kitten food (4-5 weeks?). Then, you could open her door to see if Louisa is interested in leaving her room and exploring (without the kittens). You'll soon notice if she becomes worried. It would of course be better if you could fix a glass door so that they could at least see each other - but that's wishful thinking! ;)

Jackie&Louise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ours too! They will be 2 weeks tomorrow

eva adams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would not push introductions until the babies are weaned; the mama cat is likely to be aggressive until she no longer has babies to protect. Once the babies are mobile and the mother cat wants more spare time away from kittens, you can try to let them into the rest of the house without mama for short visits. But you need to keep a very close eye on babies so that your cat won’t harm them. Once the new cat believes she and her babies are safe in your house, it will make things easier.