How To Introduce Kittens?

Bulk Prime

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted one 3-month-old very affectionate ragdoll about a week ago who's lived with 3 other siblings. I am soon to adopt another 3-month-old domestic shorthair who's "good in a home with cats" when I move out to a 2 bedroom apartment in a couple days. Should I let my ragdoll explore the house first and then adopt/introduce the shorthair or should I just introduce the both of them together at the same time since they're kittens and they won't get too territorial? Also, how would I introduce the kittens? Would it be exactly like introducing cats or would it be different?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bulk Prime

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
EDIT: I haven't adopted the ragdoll yet, it was a typo.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With one kitten being introduced to a new place, best to start with a home base room somewhere; kittens are usually quick too adapt but some will hide at a new place for up to a week. You don't want a kitten hiding behind a stove or something. A bedroom is better than that, even if the kitten might hide under the bed, and an empty room being even better. Also maybe boosts their confidence quicker to have a quiet place they can get used too.

You could probably setup the new kitten in a separate home base and do the scent swapping at the same time they are getting used to you and the home base.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Kitten + kitten usually goes pretty well - you don't really need a full intro process because they are going to fight for real, they aren't, more a matter of just smoothing things over and making them comfortable faster. Some sort of compressed process is likely a good idea, because as noted, some kittens can take days to a week to get comfortable.