How to interest cats in water fountain?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t place the fountain near their food. They drop bits of food in the fountain and then you get black mold/looks like algae in the fountain/pump.

Me? I would put a clean straw I cut in half in the fountain or a clean cat toy that will float. Keep the water bowl next to the fountain. Don’t give them water from the faucet. They will used it eventually. My twerp has his fountain on my breakfast bar.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom bought the NPET cat fountain that has a little nozzle so it is like the stream of water coming out of a sink. Ironically she bought one for her small dog who loves to play in the water with his paws. She bought a second one for her cats and they seem to like it.

I bought my guy the drink well tier fountain and he likes it (my last drink well fountain lasted 10 years!) This is a picture of my fountain. The other fountain gives you more of a stream.

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had tried fountains in the past but they were gross and had mold etc. 🙀 The older ones weren't very good. My furries loved to drink from people water glasses and especially ours or mom’s so I started giving them their own. Tess started the tradition when she tried to drink a martini and my parents gave her her own water cup instead 😹
They also drank from bowls of water.

Then dvm recommended a fountain for Sybil who had early crf. She loved it right away, she loved playing with it with her paws. It was a drinkwell pagoda. I found it was easier to clean and worked better without the filter. After she passed I eventually put it in storage with two other types she used because Quinn never used it. He prefers a cup and also likes to drink from mine when he thinks I won’t see it.

My other guys now all use bowls, I have a bowl raised up on a stand which is a long eared dog water bowl. I had purchased that one when I first took Merlin in and he and Quinn were running around like crazy knocking over the water bowls, because that one can’t be knocked over.

I will try to post a video of Sybil with her fountain, she loved it. I miss my beautiful floofy girl so much. Zena is sort of like a male version of her.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
with struvite crystals he needs all the water he can get
Not to sidetrack this thread, but have you tried a tall human glass filled to the brim with fresh water daily?

N Novus888
Yeah, it took him very little time, like maybe five minutes, to tip it over. Anything he can knock over he does...it's either a hobby or OCD. Anyway if your cat drinks water out of anything, be glad for small favors. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Having to dose each meal with three tablespoons of water is a pain, especially when one is forgetful. It does seem to be working, as I'm getting nice size urine clumps, but still a chore...though not so much as hauling his furbutt to an emergency room, and waiting outside for near five hours.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it took him very little time, like maybe five minutes, to tip it over. Anything he can knock over he does...it's either a hobby or OCD. Anyway if your cat drinks water out of anything, be glad for small favors. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Having to dose each meal with three tablespoons of water is a pain, especially when one is forgetful. It does seem to be working, as I'm getting nice size urine clumps, but still a chore...though not so much as hauling his furbutt to an emergency room, and waiting outside for near five hours.
Have you tried the ceramic bowl for dogs with long ears? I got one at Petco- the harmony ceramic bowl for long eared dogs, for Merlin and Quinn because at first they were knocking the water bowls over running around. That one is pretty heavy and is practically impossible to knock over. I don't see it there now but you could try googling it.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the ceramic bowl for dogs with long ears? I got one at Petco- the harmony ceramic bowl for long eared dogs, for Merlin and Quinn because at first they were knocking the water bowls over running around. That one is pretty heavy and is practically impossible to knock over. I don't see it there now but you could try googling it.
No, tried an enamelware food bowl. Tipped over. Glass. Tipped over. Coffee cup. Tipped over. He failed to tip the water fountain, or the current stainless steel saucer I have velcroed to a wood box filled with my slingshot ammo (too heavy for him to budge), but then he doesn't drink from either so....

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, tried an enamelware food bowl. Tipped over. Glass. Tipped over. Coffee cup. Tipped over. He failed to tip the water fountain, or the current stainless steel saucer I have velcroed to a wood box filled with my slingshot ammo (too heavy for him to budge), but then he doesn't drink from either so....
If you can find one of those bowls it might work too, my guys have never knocked it over. They prefer a bowl so I use it as a stand now for the bowl but they used to drink from it too.

Eagle63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it a bad idea to have their water source next to their food dish?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's not the best, cats are hardwired to instinctively prefer their source of water separate/away from their source of food. They're often quite accommodating to us humans, but still :) ...

Ilovemoggies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat suffers from urine crystals and has not been back to the vet since having a water fountain so persevere with it. It may help if you place the usual water bowl next to the fountain. Leave the fountain switched off for a few days so the cat gets used to being near it. I did this with my cat and he wouldn't be without it now. Some people say that fountains get dirty/slimy. I found that placing it in one of the coolest rooms in my house helps. The water needs changing every few days, the filter according to manufacturers advice, mine is once a month. I thoroughly clean the plastic parts in a weak solution of bleach every week and of course, thoroughly rinse. I've never had a problem with mould or slime. Give your cat time, the fountains are a great invention! As you can see, my cat didn't like the yellow flower centre on his!
IMG_20220606_191223_272.jpg

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always had the water near the food dishes for many years and none of my cats had any problem with it ever.