How to integrate a dog into a house with a spray-threatening cat?

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just so you know, if it was MY cat that I'm dealing with, I already have an idea of what I'd do: I'd make the cat wear a belly band/ diaper in the house and take it off at set times of day for him to use the litter box, OR if I'm busy or not at home, I'd keep the cat shut in a room away from the dog and in with his litter box, such as a bathroom. My cat is not going to tell me who I can or can't have in MY house.

However, because the cat in question belongs to my brother who lives with me and our parents, I'm asking you all for alternative ideas since he's not keen on making his cat Asher wear a belly band. He just doesn't want me to bring home a dog at all. My parents are more flexible than he is, though, so his resistance, is, to some degree, overruled. So, if the belly band isn't going to be an option, do you have any other ideas of things we can try to make this stubborn sprayer "shut up and deal with" living with a dog?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You think this is going to work?
I've done something similar in the past when we were toilet training the cats; we marked the times of day that they consistently went potty and timed ourselves to come supervise the cats at those times to make sure they used the toilet instead of some place inappropriate. :/

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since your brother isn't interested in this, and it is his cat, I wouldn't proceed. It doesn't matter what method you use because this is guaranteed to cause a lot of stress and upset, pretty much for the entire family including the animals - even the dog.

Wait until you have a chance to move out and can get a dog or not in your own living situation.

Keep in mind that coercing/forcing people as well as animals to do something they aren't comfortable with never, ever works out, and puts quite a negative light on you and your intentions.

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be blunt here but bringing home a dog sounds like you're asking for trouble. Not saying it isn't doable but it just sounds like a really bad idea.

If you absolutly must I would recommend a small one. That would be less intimidating to the cat.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
So, if the belly band isn't going to be an option, do you have any other ideas of things we can try to make this stubborn sprayer "shut up and deal with" living with a dog?
First, let me say I love dogs as well as cats and have lived with both. Second, I don't think you can make your brother's cat "shut up" as you said and accept a dog. Has your brother or you taken the cat to the vet to determine why he is spraying, is he neutered? If you stress the cat out more it's not going to have a happy ending. Plus since it will be a new dog you don't really know what his or her temperament will be either. If the dog sniffs the cat spraying that can cause problems too. Whether the cat is in a separate room or not the dog will undoubtedly know there's another animal in the house. I'm sorry I can't be more encouraging but maybe this is not the right time to bring a dog into your house.

Last edited:

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The way this has been written out seems very aggressive and unthoughtful, in my opinion. It's asking for issues if the matter ends up being forced.

Just things like "Cat wont tell me who I can or can't have in my house", when it seems like your parents house, but not only that, this is the kind of situations you invite when owning pets. You have to accommodate them as much as yourself, if not more. Then there's "Shut up and deal with it", it seems like the cat might actually already be dealing with some underlying issue. Then the talk about being overruled regardless.

I understand wanting a pet/more pets, I ran into the same situation when I lived with my parents. They did not want indoor cats or animals. I did it anyways and all it did was create all kinds of problems and stress for everyone involved. That issue was solved only by moving out as they didn't have to deal with a situation I selfishly created anymore, and I can have as many pets as I wanted.