How To Help Our New Cat Gain Confidence?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will take months, not weeks, for everything to get better. A small scratch here and tehre are bound to happen. They are trying to figure out where they stand in the household and will work things out. Everything really sounds good and will get better in tome!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mandmcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
M mandmcats : I just came across this thread today, so reading it for the first time. Just wondering if you got the 3rd litter box set up, and if it helped things at all.
I want to say I think so but I’m not sure. We still keep them separated at night and M2 does poop in another box every night so far; we see it in the morning. I’m not sure if we’ve seen a huge difference but they have both been using the new box.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully it's helping. At least with 3 litter boxes, there's no way one cat can monitor all of them. BTW, gorgeous cats. I hope they'll eventually be best buds. :catrub:

mandmcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HUGE update! M2 has been hanging around with us in the living and kitchen areas the last three days. She’s found some new hiding spaces and defensible spots. She still slinks mostly along the edges but she’s definitely gaining more confidence! M1 seems to have accepted her more in this area as well. Of course she still stalks and chases. It does seem like M2 is able to hold her own more though. We still separate them at night. M1 sleeps with us while M2 gets M1 free time around the whole house.

The BIGGEST thing was when I got home from work today, M2 was there to greet me as well! She’s usually upstairs under the bed or lately at the top of the stairs. AND after that! M1 walked up to M2 and they touched noses!!! I was so shocked. It lasted a good 3-4 seconds before M2 hissed a little as of to say ok I’m done lol! But I am floored! She pretty much went back to hiding from M1 but wow that is a big step! It’s officially been 2 months since we brought M2 home.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great progress! Two months seems like a long time to you, but to cats who have had their world changed, it is a blink of the eye. All you say sounds like true progress and i'm sure everything will turn out well. Great job!

mandmcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to give probably my final update for anyone dealing with cat introductions! 11 week mark. M2 now regularly hangs out in the living/kitchen area. She’s even climbing up on M1’s cat tree by the window fairly regularly. They touch noses more often and we feed them side by side. M2 will still hide quite a bit under the couch or in our pantry from M1 because M1 still likes to chase or run up to M2. They seem to have a truce during feeding times; M2 even gets some butt sniffing in and M1 will leave M2 alone when eating even if she finishes first.

The other day I saw M2 acting strange. She had her tail floofed up and her back a little arched but she was doing this around and towards her toy so I think she was playing. This was out in the open right in front of M1. Then M2 does a weird hopping/walking sideways thing a few times. I read that it could be fear but it seemed more like playing. She immediately shrunk down with her ears flat when M1 ran up to her though. We took it as a positive sign of play even if she isn’t quite ready for them to play together.

Progress of M2’s hiding spaces/hangout spaces:
The office/her safe room > under the guest bed > under the master bed > at the top of the stairs > by the railing next to the staircase > in the pantry > under the couch. She’s steadily progressed to hanging out more in areas we hang out in.

If they end up snuggling I’ll probably update lol!

Here’s some photos! M2 is the one with more white. Apologies in advanced if they turn out sideways.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... such cutie pies. And touching noses is good. Hopefully someday they'll be besties. :catlove: