How to help my anxious cat with in-home construction?

Kitalya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!
TL;DR at the bottom!
Recently we had a window of our house torn out and replaced with drywall. Before this time, I had not heard my cat (Bandit) hiss even once. He hid, and when he walked it was slow and close to the floor, with his tail tucked. We have another cat (Vixen), who seemed to be unbothered by this for the most part. She showed some discomfort, but seemed okay overall.
In about 2 weeks we are getting our bathroom redone. This project will be louder and there will be more strangers inside. Based on the way Bandit acted with the smaller project, I am very worried for him during this next one. Is there any way I can calm his nerves and help him to feel safe and comfortable during this upcoming project?
TL;DR My cat was very scared and uncomfortable during a small house project. We have a larger house project in 2 weeks. How can I help him to feel safe and comforrable?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

If he becomes super stressed you might consider boarding him, but try a fan for the white noise (with the air current directed in such a way as not to bother him) and cat music can be helpful, or calming products.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If he becomes super stressed you might consider boarding him, but try a fan for the white noise (with the air current directed in such a way as not to bother him) and cat music can be helpful, or calming products.
I definitely agree about trying calming products. Here is a thread with some helpful suggestions:
Chill Pills for Cats

Depending on your cat and the length of your bathroom remodel boarding may or may not be stressful for him. When we did a partial bathroom remodel awhile back we set up a spare bedroom for our cat equipped with her litter box, food and water bowls, toys, bed and cat tree to look out the window. Fortunately that's what worked for us but every cat is different. I hope you find the best solution for Bandit. :crossfingers:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't let the handyman leave closed tubs of stuff just lying around during the renovation. My brother had a cat die from licking a closed tub of something -- the dribbles on the sides/lid were sufficient to send him into organ failure. Best to keep the door closed if its a multi-day process

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished going through three months of bathroom construction with my very fearful cat and over the years have gone through two full house renovations with cats present. My best advice is to create a safe space for your cats - a bedroom, office or other room that can be their home base while all work is being done. Within this room create some hiding spaces, like the corner of a closet or a cardboard box with a door cut in it. Be sure the room has food, water and a litter box and put both cats in the room before workmen arrive for the day and don’t let them out until everyone has left. Put a big sign in the door “cats inside, do not open”. This way you know your cats aren’t running out an open door, hiding in unsafe places or getting caught up in the construction itself.

Even though there may be noise outside of their room, if no one enters and everything is the same in their room every day, they will start to feel safer and calmer. You can add a feliway to this room as well.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitalya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

Thank you!! Cat music certainly helped😊

Kitalya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just finished going through three months of bathroom construction with my very fearful cat and over the years have gone through two full house renovations with cats present. My best advice is to create a safe space for your cats - a bedroom, office or other room that can be their home base while all work is being done. Within this room create some hiding spaces, like the corner of a closet or a cardboard box with a door cut in it. Be sure the room has food, water and a litter box and put both cats in the room before workmen arrive for the day and don’t let them out until everyone has left. Put a big sign in the door “cats inside, do not open”. This way you know your cats aren’t running out an open door, hiding in unsafe places or getting caught up in the construction itself.

Even though there may be noise outside of their room, if no one enters and everything is the same in their room every day, they will start to feel safer and calmer. You can add a feliway to this room as well.
That's crazy smart!! I wish I had opened this prior to construction but it will certainly be helpful in the future. Thank you eternally! I hadn't even thought of that🤔😊

Kitalya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I definitely agree about trying calming products. Here is a thread with some helpful suggestions:
Chill Pills for Cats

Depending on your cat and the length of your bathroom remodel boarding may or may not be stressful for him. When we did a partial bathroom remodel awhile back we set up a spare bedroom for our cat equipped with her litter box, food and water bowls, toys, bed and cat tree to look out the window. Fortunately that's what worked for us but every cat is different. I hope you find the best solution for Bandit. :crossfingers:
I'll need to look in to those calming products for sure!!!!! Thank you both so much!!