How to help mamanyt1953 - Brainstorming

Status
Not open for further replies.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
But would one of the TCS members...who are close to Becca....be willing to start a 'go fund me' page for her...or some sort of way to directly send her some funds, too.

In the past, I have always noticed...how Beks...seems to give to a lot of S.O.S threads...even though I know she must be on a retired fixed income.
I kind of feel she deserves to have some of that huge generosity...reflected back on to her.
I don't have much, right now,...but will totally be willing to give something directly to her..(or a go fund me)...just because I trust that she will make the right decisions with any funds given.
She may also need some sort of medical modifications, grab bars, or medical supplies, ..which are not covered under any government plans.

So I don't know, how difficult it would be to set one up, or run,...but if it can be done...or if it can go directly to her...I would want to send something.
thanks. and bless you all for updating and keeping her in your thoughts and prayers, too. :heartshape::touched::grouphug:

****Mod Note: This thread is for ideas on how to help Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . If you are looking for updates or to post well wishes, please do so in this thread -

https://thecatsite.com/threads/keep-mamanyt1953-in-your-thoughts.428876/#post-5359785

Also, please refrain from posting any personal info here such as addresses, etc. If you need to share, please do so via PM. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem with Go Fund Me is that they take a huge chunk of the donations.

Isn't there a way to set up a fund on PayPal, with all of the money going to the beneficiary? We've done it before on TCS, as I recall, when Artie died. If whoever set that up will PM me we'll see if we can't do the same for Bek. If I don't hear from anyone by tomorrow I'll try Customer Service at PayPal.

Margret

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure how Artie’s memorial fund was done.
Alm I know is it was a large amount to Angell Memorial, to help those who could not afford vet care.

Maybe LTS3 LTS3 has an idea?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another suggestion to my other one is to make a donation to your favorite charity in honor of Bek. Many places offer an "in honor of" or "in tribute of" donation option. You may be able to direct the donation to a specific cause such as pet care assistance or purchase of medical supplies. Make a donation and send Bek a get well card and mention that you made a donation in her honor.

I don't know if @Anne would approve of a Go Fund Me thing for Bek. There's this sticky posted: PMs and requests for money

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Another suggestion to my other one is to make a donation to your favorite charity in honor of Bek. Many places offer an "in honor of" or "in tribute of" donation option. You may be able to direct the donation to a specific cause such as pet care assistance or purchase of medical supplies. Make a donation and send Bek a get well card and mention that you made a donation in her honor.

I don't know if @Anne would approve of a Go Fund Me thing for Bek. There's this sticky posted: PMs and requests for money
I agree with this.

A donation is a great idea. Just have to decide where. There is nothing stopping individuals from doing their own donation. That is always an option.

I am just not into Go Fund Me. Just me.
It does not even have to be animal related.

It is the thought that counts.

Bek would’ve thrilled with any donation.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! The outpouring of love is wonderful! I know our dear TCS friend will be greatly moved when she can come here to read everything. I know that Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 has great concern for the feral kitties. She has worked tirelessly to make the world a better place for them. She has always wanted to do something more for them. I do have concerns for her future needs until she is back on her feet. That said, if anyone could look into a trust for her or the ferals she has put so much love in to, I think that would be a relief to her. Maybe a way to let her access things she needs during the hospital stay via a gift account? IDK how any of this can be worked out since it can be complicated until she can make the decisions herself. She seems to be very alert but I don’t know what things might be affecting her, such as medications. I know TCS has rules about soliciting funds too. I am not asking for funds, just trying to let anyone who is interested know some possibilities.
artiemom artiemom I am glad you mentioned that she needs healing time so that in our rush to support her, we do not overwhelm her or miss the things that may be important to her. I think that taking our time to figure out what will count to her the most is very good.
Margret Margret Good point! I have the understanding that go fund me does take a percentage and tax issues may be something to look into too.
I do know of one shelter in her state that a dear friend of hers is deeply involved with. I could inquire and ask that person what they think of her position on donations. It would be a way to thank that person for helping her in the past too.
For anyone wanting to send anything, please know that she currently has vertigo. For now, please keep love, good vibes, prayers and candles lit for her. I think everyone posting here is wonderful! This is a beautiful way to show love for Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In the past, I have always noticed...how Beks...seems to give to a lot of S.O.S threads...even though I know she must be on a retired fixed income.
I kind of feel she deserves to have some of that huge generosity...reflected back on to her.
I don't have much, right now,...but will totally be willing to give something directly to her..(or a go fund me)...just because I trust that she will make the right decisions with any funds given.
She may also need some sort of medical modifications, grab bars, or medical supplies, ..which are not covered under any government plans.

A contribution of some sort to post-hospital care and needs sounds great :)

We don't know (yet) how much care Bek will need when she's out of the hopsital and what sort of medical needs and supplies / equipment she may need while she recovers so let's not buy medical supplies, etc for her until we get more info.

Maybe a subscription to a meal service of some sort? Probably not Blue Apron or other meal kit that requires cooking with the provided ingredients. I know there are subscriptions to fully prepared meals that you can heat up and serve or freeze for later.

Isn't there a way to set up a fund on PayPal, with all of the money going to the beneficiary? We've done it before on TCS, as I recall, when Artie died. If whoever set that up will PM me we'll see if we can't do the same for Bek. If I don't hear from anyone by tomorrow I'll try Customer Service at PayPal.

Not exactly. For Artie, I just collected the funds into my account and then transferred all those funds to the hospital's pet care fund. International members were unable to donate using PayPal because of a fee or something so I think those people donated directly to the hospital.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad that Bek is doing better. She does so much for her ferals and helping people in this forum. I would very much like to make a donation toward getting her a subscription to a meal service or help for her ferals or her favorite shelter. I'll keep checking here to see what you guys decide what to do.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I think both Jcatbird Jcatbird and LTS3 LTS3 have awesome ideas..
I just woke up, so my thinking is a bit fuzzy...

Bek has told me that she has a good medical insurance. But they only cover so much..

Thoughts:
Short term:
We want Bek to know she is so loved.. I know, at this point in my hospitilaztion, a bit of depression hit me.. and I was ambulatory.. I cannot image how she is feeling..

That is why I suggested cards instead of flowers.

Long term: What about an prepaid, Amazon Card? or Walmart? or an Uber Account?
Just throwing out ideas... Or a Chewy account?

The meals sound like a good idea, but not Meals on Wheels. I have seen some of their meals during quarantine.. no way...

I am going to run through these ideas with others.. and see what we can come up with..

It is a bit early to get an update from the hospital... later...
~~~
Yes, Bek will be overwhelmed, with her eyes filling up with tears, when she reads this thread..
It will be tears of Love... and gratefulness...
~~

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember, Bek lives in a very small town. For grocery shopping she goes to the Walmart in another town, once a month.

I don't know if there are any meal delivery services in her town. If there are I agree that a subscription to one could be very useful for Bek, but I suspect that an Uber or Lyft gift card (do Uber and Lyft have gift cards?) would be more useful - she might be able to get to Walmart often enough to get some fresh produce.

I think we're going to have to wait to finalize any plans on how to help when Bek is released from the hospital, until she can express a preference and until we have a better idea of what her condition will be upon release. As a general rule it's a good idea for patients to recover at home, but that assumes there's someone available to provide assistance. Her insurance might be willing to provide aides and visiting nurses (🤞) so that Bek could be at home with Hekitty - we all know that purrs would do her a world of good.

I'll talk with PayPal later today, I hope, and find out what our options are there. (Note: there are several other things going on in my life right now, so I may not be able to get to this until early next week.)

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about a prepaid Visa?
That's a notion! I can get one through my grocery store for $3, (plus the money we load to it) at last report. I only see 3 problems:
  1. My grocery store wants cash.
  2. It would be hard for Bek to reload the card, with no Kroger stores nearby.
  3. I can't think of any secure way to deliver it to her.
Ideas?

Margret

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The prepaid Visa store locator says that there are several places in her town that will refill them. It also says there's a Walmart in her town. . .maybe it's not well-stocked, but they should be able to do refills at least.
Visa ReadyLink Locations | Visa USA

Express Mail and Certified Mail are reasonably secure. Registered Mail is very secure, but it's kind of a pain.

But I don't have any ideas about filling the card initially :/.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
That's a notion! I can get one through my grocery store for $3, (plus the money we load to it) at last report. I only see 3 problems:
  1. My grocery store wants cash.
  2. It would be hard for Bek to reload the card, with no Kroger stores nearby.
  3. I can't think of any secure way to deliver it to her.
Ideas?

Margret
There have been many reports on the local news media warning about the Visa Gift cards. They take a good percentage of funds.. and/or ask for extra money to process...

There are 2 Walmarts near me... re:gift cards..

Margret, I think you are right about waiting until we see what she needs.. She as a road ahead of her...and we can discuss options among ourselves--along with Bek, and list a few for the members in here.

AS far as her apartment is concerned: Bek lives in a residence that is good about handicapped options being installed.. All tenants have to do is ask.. I would really be surprised if her apartment was not already equipped with all the safety requirements.. They need all of them, in order to pass yearly inspections....

The prepaid Visa store locator says that there are several places in her town that will refill them. It also says there's a Walmart in her town. . .maybe it's not well-stocked, but they should be able to do refills at least.
Visa ReadyLink Locations | Visa USA

Express Mail and Certified Mail are reasonably secure. Registered Mail is very secure, but it's kind of a pain.

But I don't have any ideas about filling the card initially :/.
I do not think we should rush into anything.. not right now...
I am still not of a notion to use a Visa GC.... Need to check on the fees...

I like the idea of a Walmart.. or even an Amazon GC.... or split between that and Chewy...
We have lots of options available.. We need to 'feel' out Bek to see what she needs..

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A paypal account that people can donate to would probably be the best thing for anyone wanting to send her money. Chewy accepts paypal, and it can be used on amazon even if they don't directly accept it.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 to the Walmart in her town. It is not more than five miles from her residence and it is one of the big stores. There is a Lidl's closer, but she does not go there because of limited selection. I like many of the suggestions on here. I would like to do something for Mamanyt that would give her more accessibility to goods and services.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I strongly suspect that Bek already has a PayPal account — what information do we need to send money to an existing account, does anyone know? Will an email address do it?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I strongly suspect that Bek already has a PayPal account — what information do we need to send money to an existing account, does anyone know? Will an email address do it?
Margret
Yes, that's the way to do it. I used to sell on eBay, and we transferred money back and forth through email and PayPal. Log on to PayPal for instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.