How To Help A Stressed, Clingy, Noisy Cat

HelenRB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm new to this site and new to cat ownership, although I grew up with cats. This is the first time I've had a cat of my own, though.

I recently adopted a cat from my aunt, who has early-onset Alzheimer's. She had him for about 11 years (he was a stray that she adopted). We think he is about 12-15 years old. Over the past year as my aunt began to get sick, she adopted more cats and by the time she had to move out of her house, she had 8, and they were not being well cared for. She has been unable to be at her home for the past few months, and while we were uncertain whether she might be able to go back, the cats remained there and someone went every day to feed and play with them.

It is now confirmed that she can't move home, so homes have been found for the cats. I took the oldest and he has moved into my apartment.

Needless to say, it's been a very stressful time for him with a lot of change. He's a lovely, social cat, but is extremely vocal and clingy with he. He meows constantly and wants to be on top of me all the time. At night, if I allow him in the bedroom, he never settles - just walks all over me, paws at my face, and meows. I have been shutting my bedroom door, but he hates to be alone and cries.

I also have to travel out of town sometimes. Since he loves people and other cats he has done okay on visits to my parents' house, except for the car trip, when he has howled the whole way and defecated in his carrier.

I have taken him to the vet, who says he's very healthy.

What can I do to help him settle in, while not encouraging the noisy, clingy behaviour?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for giving him a home. He has been through a lot of change in a short amount of time. How long has he been living with you?

If your aunt was home all the time and you work it is going to take time for him to adjust to your schedule. I think it might be helpful to establish a routine. Feed him at the same time every day. Set aside time at a specific time for play if he is willing to play. If he enjoys treats set a certain time every day and give him treats.

I think time and patience are the key here. I also think the reason he is so clingy and needy right now is that he is not sure of his new environment yet. He may still be scared that you are going to disappear all of the sudden. I think as he adjusts to his new home these behaviors will decrease. I also think that in time he will learn your sleep schedule and adjust to it. My experience with the behavior you are dealing with was with a young kitten. Hopefully someone with more senior cat experience can give you better advice.

munch64

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Settling in a new cat can take a lot of time. The vet said he's healthy, so that's excellent.

When he's disturbing you at night, is it because he wants food? We got a battery powered timed feeder for our cat, and that helped a lot with him waking us up early or during the night. Chewy sells them. It's a five reservoir tray that rotates and you put dry food in it. He associated the tray with feeding him rather than us. It was a huge help. They can hear it rotate, and they will go running for their food.

I don't know how long you've had him, but when we adopted, we introduced them to the home slowly. We kept the cat confined to one room only for a couple days, then would let them out to explore and bring them back to their safe room. I don't know if trying this at this stage would be helpful. Obviously the safe room should have litterbox, food and water available in it. Spend as much time with him in there as you can, not necessarily engaging with him, but just in his company so he can relax.

There is also feliway, which is a product in stores or online that mimics cat pheromones and can help calm them.

And lastly, cats can be prescribed Prozac to help them with anxiety. It takes a few weeks to become effective, but I have friends whose cats had a lot of success with it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So glad you are taking care of this little guy! What's his name? I echo catlover73 catlover73 . I think it is just going to take time for him to realize he has a new permanent home and that you will take care of him. He is older, so his confidence is probably a little shaken. Any familiar items that he had in your aunt's home might help. Bedding/towels/blankets he was used to, as well as food/water bowls, litterbox/litter, toys. If there was specific piece of furniture that he liked and you can integrate it in your home, that might help as well.

Additionally, see if there are any tips in this article that might help, even if it states it involves kittens, some of it applies to cats of all ages.

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HelenRB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your responses! I have been worrying about him - you've given me some hope that with a steady routine, he'll begin to settle into his new home.

I think the night-time activity is just because he wants attention. He does lots of head-butting, kneading, and tapping my face with his paw. It's very cute but less so at 3:30 a.m.!

His name is Lincoln. I've just had him for a few weeks, so it's all very new. It's been so hard for my aunt to give up her cats, so I just want him to do well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He looks so sweet! I am sure he will adapt. So sorry for your aunt, but for now, would it make her feel any better to see pictures of Lincoln (and any of her other cats, if that is possible)?

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For nighttime, set a routine for both you and Lincoln to go to bed and lights-out at particular times. Now the hard part - when he's a pest at night, ignore him and after a while (weeks, unfortunately) he will stop. I didn't follow this advice with two kittens I have, but would only give them a quick, reassuring pet and then ignore them. They both have figured it out and settle in quickly.

For your aunt: I assume she is in some sort of assisted living - see if they have support animals come by or would mind if you arranged for a visit of one. I don't recommend using Lincoln due to the stress of a car ride and new environment.

HPeters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Play with him- hard (cats can have second to fourth winds when playing) late evening and feed just before bed- this will tire him out and encourage him to go through the night without bothering you- when he does NEVER give in (it will make it even harder to get him to stop)
Playing will also help his confidence in you and the new surroundings

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You've gotten wonderful advice!
Just a couple more thoughts, --this one's funny even to me since he's a cat, after all, but in his sleeping/napping area, try having a soft nightlight.

He was with multiple cats before, you could try a heartbeat toy even though he's older.

Also try Musicforcats . com, low volume classical harp music, or an app called Relax My Cat.
All the VERY best wishes to you and your fur baby!

HelenRB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for all the kind suggestions. I will be trying them!

We had a pretty good night last night. We played, and then cuddled for a while, and then I gave him some food and shut my bedroom door. He cried for a few minutes but he did settle down.

My aunt doesn't have a permanent place in a long-term care facility yet, and has been living with family who don't have any pets. She still uses email (she seems to have good days and bad days) so I've been keeping her up to date on Lincoln's progress. It would be so nice if she could move into a place where she could still spend time with animals.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi I think you got all the good advice you need already. I will add that one of my cats would tap mylip lightly with his paw or touch my nose/lips with his old wet nose. I just pulled the blankets up by face and ignored him when it was time for sleep. For the kitten, I just blow on him when he annoys me or ignore him. If you can sleep with Lincoln I would. It helps cats bond and feel secure. I run a fan at night to drown out my kittens activity .... and wake up each morning to new toys spread out on my comforter.

HelenRB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to provide a short update. Lincoln is doing pretty well. The cat calming music truly seems to work - I had no idea!

He's starting to find some favourite "spots" in my apartment, and adjusting to my routine. He sits on the bed while I get ready in the morning, and this morning when I went to put my coat on he just went and curled up in the living room. There was no vocalizing or trying to follow me out the door, which was nice!

I worked from home yesterday because we had an ice storm, which he definitely enjoyed. I know if he had his way someone would be home all the time, but overall I think he is beginning to adjust to all the change in his life.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lots of wonderful ideas so far. I will add that you should ask your vet about Rescue Remedy. There's a pet formula. It's natural, and it can be bought at Walmart, Fresh Thyme, Whole Foods, and Chewy to name a few.

I have found that rubbing a little between my fingers and then rubbing it on my kitty's ears has been the best way to get it into his system. It usually takes 20 minutes or so, but it made a HUGE difference after losing my other kitty, bringing in another kitty, and taking him to the vet. He would get so upset, he'd puke going to the vet and heading home. Last vet visit, I gave this to him, and I didn't hear a peep out of him at the vet's office!

It doesn't work for every kitty, but it works for many. Perhaps it will help yours.

Good luck!

lucifur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I grew up with dogs, and I'm currently only on my second cat, so I'm hardly a feline expert, but I wonder if the night time issue could be helped by purchasing a "training cage". You could line it with soft, comforting blankets, even placing a dark blanket over the top for security (maybe leave a sort of porthole so he can see you in bed). leave the door open during the day -- hopefully, he'll come to use it as a sort of "safe haven" -- but, after putting him in at night, close the door. unfortunately, you may have to endure some noise for a while, but eventually (hopefully) he will settle and relax. might be a terrible idea, but...