How To Help A Stray Kitten Adjust To Indoor Life?

Megan31296

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am very new to cat ownership so I appreciate any and all advice, no matter how basic! Yesterday I was driving on the highway and saw a kitten running through traffic and crouching in the lanes. My coworker jumped out of the car and grabbed it so that it didn't get hit. We didn't seen any other cats around or people that looked like they were looking for it, so we took it with us. I brought it to the local animal shelter and it wasn't microchipped. They told me that this kitten was male, about 8 or 9 weeks old, and possibly a Maine Coon tabby mix. They said that he seemed healthy but was almost certainly a stray, and that if I left him at the shelter he'd probably be euthanized because they had too many kittens to take adopt out this time of year.

So I agreed to foster this kitten until he can be adopted. I haven't had a cat since I was maybe 12 years old, and never one this young. I have set up a litter box in one corner of my room and put dry food and water in an opposite corner. I put lots of towels in a shallow box to make a bed. I have been hand feeding him wet food twice a day and he seems to be eating quite a bit. He is very timid, but if I sit still and quietly for a while he'll come out of where he is hiding and explore a bit. He rotates hiding spots rather than staying in the same one. Last night he meowed quietly for most of the night. This morning when I went to feed him he hissed at me as I tried to pick him up, but once he was in my arms he seemed to calm down a bit. I still think he's just scared and learning to adjust. This might be his first time in doors ever, so for now I am keeping him in only my bedroom at all times.

Is there anything that I can do to make transitioning easier for this little guy and to make him more social in the long run? He's been through a lot and I don't want to traumatize him by picking him up when he doesn't want to be held, but so far he has shown little interest in food unless he is hand fed. Am I doing this right? Am I doing anything majorly wrong? Thank you so much for any advice.

Attachments

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a sweet, adorable little guy. Thanks for rescuing him.

You are doing all the right things. It may take some time for him to get used to you and get over the horrors of being abandoned. You might try to get some kitten milk replacement (KMR) at a pet store and feed him that in addition. Let him eat all he wants. Kittens grow fast and need a lot of food.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how he's doing!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a kitten, but my boyfriend raised quite a few. He said that if you pick him up and put him next to your chest so he can hear your heartbeat it can be very calming. Also there is the "slow blink," relax your features and close your eyes slowly, and turn away to not look directly at him. This assures him you are unthreatening, and is very polite in cat language.

Beyond that, I have no advice. Sounds like you are doing great! You already seem quiet and calm to gain his trust. Congrats on the new foster!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's only 8 weeks, then I would take a more aggressive approach and hold him as much as possible, even though he will be scared at first. He is at the age were they are easy to socialize, and time spent with him now will pay off in a friendlier, easier to adopt kitten. Older kittens (three months and older) do not do as well with the forced holding and with them it is best to let them come to you. There are a lot of good video's on YouTube. Look up the Kitten School Video's, I think you will find them helpful. He is very pretty.

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a sweet little guy! Thanks for rescuing him.

What I might suggest is that when he is comfortable with you, try to get friends or family to go into his room and sit with him. If he doesn't get to know more people, he will be frightened of new people.

Have them just sit quietly, and offer him treats if he comes near. He will start to associate people with food, and be more open to meeting new people.

On the food issue, he probably hasn't had much experience with dry cat food. As mentioned by DreamerRose DreamerRose get a milk replacement. He was probably just at the tail end of weaning from mom, if mom was even in the picture...in any case, milk replacement, and heres a novel approach that I tried when feeding my lil strays. I mix in dry kitten food with wet food, and gradually work them up to dry, with wet on the side.

Hes going to have to learn how to eat on his own, just make it as easy as possible.

Good luck! and keep us updated on his progress. :thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Megan31296

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone! He is coming out of his shell now, exploring on his own and playing, and he'll come up to me and sniff me. He also lets me hold him until he gets bored and wants to play some more!

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 8.58.10 AM.png

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's very precious! Thank you for rescuing him from the road. :redheartpump:

He is young enough that he will socialize quickly in a calm home environment, as you're doing. Like Surya, I would also take a more aggressive approach with such a young kit, picking him up, holding and petting him and/or playing with him on your lap as much as possible. Of course you don't want to force him to be held when he gets spooked; as soon as he wriggles to get away, let him down. He'll learn to associate human hands with love and fun and realize that you're not going to restrict him against his will.

Keep up the good work! :dizzycat:

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Three cheers for you and your friend! Wow..so nice to hear good news for a change. =)
Is there any chance you can keep him? :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Megan31296

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Caring for him is a lot of work. He seems to make messes faster than I can clean them so I'm not sure if I can keep him long-term, but hopefully it will get easier as he gets a little older. He is very playful and curious, and loves to be the center of attention! I tried to read a book the other day, he had other plans. He weighed 1 lb 14 oz today, and when I found him last week he only weighed 1 lb 2 oz.
20180630_120014.jpg