How to help a cat that winces when you put your hand toward their heads

malla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My two oldest cats wince when anyone puts their hand out toward their heads. (These two babies came to me via a roommate who gave them to me when she up and moved out and she did not always treat them nicely, and it still shows.) Still, four months later, they still when anyone puts their hand out toward their heads. My cat, Tiger, does not wince like that. 

In attempt to help them, I put my hand palm out and slowly move towards them and scratch under their chins, then move to their heads. They don't wince if they don't see me reach to scratch their heads, nor do they wince if I reach to scratch their backs.

Should I just keep reaching to pet their heads and let them learn I'm not M who would smack their heads cos she thought it was funny? Or just do the chin to head scratch I've always been doing???

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
On a recent episode of 'my cat from hell' there was a cat that was afraid of hands. 

Try offering treats from your open palm. 

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a kitty we rescued on the point of death several years ago, sadly now gone..our Frankie Jean had clearly been kicked and/or hit in the head - she didn't like feet near her, she would wince and bolt if you came towards her head with your hand.  We simply used time, patience and a lot of love..we didn't force her at any time to allow us to touch her head, we let her decide if or when she wanted to moof us, or cheek-rub our legs.

We lost her way too soon, but during those two years, she kept slowly revealing more and more of her personality, and she lost her fear of men, feet, loud voices...it was rewarding beyond words to see her come to love and trust us.  She began with some trust for sure, as she truly picked me to help her when she was near death from starvation.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aren't you a love for keeping and caring for these kitties! :hugs:

I thought this link from my favorite cat blog might help....

http://www.wayofcats.com/blog/cat-affection-move-fist-of-friendship/3257

There is all sorts of great info at that site.  Bless you for taking in your roommates cats.
:yeah: Wow - great post on the subject! I haven't checked out the site yet, but excellent advice. :nod:

I work with feral cats for many years. I've learned from experience that they don't like open hands, and definitely not palm up. :lol3: If you hold your hand in a fist, it is the shape of cat's head (was my thinking at the time). For me, most ferals are cat-friendly, so it's much less scary for them, that shape. :nod: Slow movement helps too. Even just holding your hand in a fist for them to sniff, before then petting them with the fist (that you can then open your hand once they're relaxed) helps too.

I often "pet" the older ferals with my head (like they headbutt another kitty they like) - rubbing my forehead on their cheek. I then introduce the hand when they can't see it, scritching behind their ear, while rubbing their cheek with my head. :lol3: (Pretty much what you're doing sans the head petting LOL).

A tip from a long-time rescuer to help kitties overcome a fear of hands is to put one hand down on the floor, fingers splayed (palm down), and put treats between your fingers. Just let kitty eat them, praise kitty to high heaven - but don't then try to pet her with the hand. Just let the hand be a happy thing with yummy treats.

I see no reason not to try Jackson Galaxy's suggestion.... between all three suggestions, I'm sure you'll find the one or the combination that will help. :heart2: :rub: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Biscotte was like that when she first came to me (arrived in my barn one winter's day) - terrified of open hands. I used to close my fist and offer it to her to sniff long before I tried petting her. She remained scared of hands for over a year, but finally got over it. Bless you for taking this little on in - it is awful when you think and wonder what they went through before reaching love and safety.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

malla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The fist does help! Thanks everyone! 

Facey is still afraid of loud voices so I'm figuring that out, too.