How To Halter Train Tassee

edie56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i wouild like to start halter training tass we have a retirement home with thirty resdents since ive had tass last summer they have been asking to see herbut she doesnt like to held she scratches and bites i think if she might get halter trained they couild see her with out stessing her out shile let me and mom hold her but when we hold she wont let anyone touch her

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - There are a lot of options and sizes available, maybe your pet store would allow you to try some with a 'keep the receipt/leave the tags on" return policy so you can get the best fit.
Then, put them on the floor so she can smell them. After some time of that, lift one and just briefly drape it over her back. If she's not ok with that, continue to just lift them and let her sniff. When she's ok with one draped across her back, then gently start moving it around her neck and head. I don't know if there are versions of these where the cat's head doesn't have to be put through it, but I was eventually able to get the Big Guy to where he now flattens his ears and actually shoves his head through it for me, and then gets impatient with me when I take too long hooking up the rest of it :)
After a while you should be able to put it on her and let her walk around the apartment with it for a short time, then longer.
EDIT some cats start walking around with a harness on at first where they're really low to the ground as if all the bones in their body stopped working right. This weird behavior should eventually wear off as she becomes more used to it.
The next factor is the actual leash, and some cats take a while with this part of it. If you are able to let her experience being stopped at the end of the leash in a protected area that would be best, in case she becomes so unhappy that she tries to get away from the leash/harness.
If this approach is a bust and doesn't work, another option might be a pet push cart. It's a lot like a baby buggy except it has a mesh screen over the front. Folks could still see her, to a point depending on how dense the mesh is, and you might find that your cat enjoys being pushed around. Best of luck to you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

edie56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you for answering both of my questions we already have a harness

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just be very careful when she's actually near the residents of the retirement home. Older people are often on blood thinners or just overall have more fragile skin. You said Tass bites and scratches, and around older people that might be particularly dangerous. Just keep a close eye on her when you're visiting the retirement home!

Good luck with the halter training!