How To Give Prescription Clomicalm When Cat Is Refusing To Take It

Molly1000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been given tablets to give to my cat for her Rippling Skin Disorder and feline herpies breakout. She is taking prescription eye drops for her eye infection linked to her eye herpies, but it does not seem to be helping. The vet said her anxiety is making her susceptible to the herpies breakout. Her immune system has to fight it. She has that feline hyperplasia, but is not self-mutilating and has had the breakout for over 3 months. She was a ferral kitten, rescued. I am only trying to give her 2.5 mg a day. She had no issues taking cranberry supplements and lysine, but no matter which soft food I put the tiny tablet in, she stops eating the soft food as soon as she tastes the tablet. I had to get a new soft food because she did not trust the other one anymore. Now she refuses the new soft food. They only have the tablet form. How do I give it to her? Does it taste that bad?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Molly1000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to add, she is 6 years old, not a kitten anymore. Not sure why it says kitten under the thread. New to this.

Molly1000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She does. She's a very affectionate cat. As soon as she sniffs the pill, she turns away from it. She's already upset about having to get eye drops twice a day, I feel bad forcing a pill down her throat too. Has anyone ever experienced this? She is usually not fussy when it comes to food. This is unlike her. She's overweight (18 pounds). Since she was a starving kitten at one point in her life, she usually overeats. We cannot give her diet food because our 12 year old cat (part siamese) is very lean (5 pounds). He is 6 years older than her, but acts six years younger and is still doing acrobatics on our balcony railings all the time. When we found her, one of her two siblings had been attacked by a racoon or fox and had its leg nearly torn off. The three were so tiny, each one the size of an adult human hand. We suspect that they were abandoned by their mother, a stray, who could not care for them.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You don’t really force it down their throat. You just hold their mouth open and drop it down. There are a number of YouTube tutorials on how to pill a cat.

Molly1000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet said her twitchy cat syndrome is because of stress and anxiety. My husband is away for work during the week now and her occasional poop on the floor and twitchy cat syndrome is probably a response to him being away. Her breakout started at the same time. The vet said we need to reduce her stress and anxiety. The pill is supposed to help calm her, relieve her separation anxiety, but opening her mouth and popping a pill will only increase her stress and worsen her rolling skin and twitchy tail symptoms. The episodes are the worst after we give her eye drops. I really hope there is another way. I don't know what to do with her anymore. Her eyes still look horrible (like raccoon eyes) and she started the drops on Friday. I honestly think she is suffering.

The vet did so many tests on her on Friday and said her immune system needs to fight the virus and gave her antibiotic eye drops for conjunctivitis. She had bladder infections all of last year. None of the antibiotics helped her (injection or pills). The only thing that seemed to cure her were cranberry supplements, which really were the very last resort.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried crushing it and mixing with a smelly food? You can get a pill crusher at a drugstore.

When we had a chubby girl she was a ground dweller so we tried putting the crunchies on the top of the cat tree for the other 3 and feed her meals. It would have worked if Rusty didn't throw food everywhere and Mawkin just sat under the tree and ate what Rusty dropped. If you free feed your skinny guy this way maybe she'd be hungry when she got the smelly food.

Molly1000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried crushing it and mixing with a smelly food? You can get a pill crusher at a drugstore.

When we had a chubby girl she was a ground dweller so we tried putting the crunchies on the top of the cat tree for the other 3 and feed her meals. It would have worked if Rusty didn't throw food everywhere and Mawkin just sat under the tree and ate what Rusty dropped. If you free feed your skinny guy this way maybe she'd be hungry when she got the smelly food.
We tried this. It is what we did with cranberry supplements and lysine powders. She refuses to eat that soft food now (Gravy and chicken bits) after tasting the kitty prozac. She sniffs it and walks away. Got her the pricy brand's "Go" duck pate, which she loves as it does not have any of those disgusting fillers (grain or corn). We give it to our 12-year old who has a sensitive tummy. She gets mad at it, as soon as she tastes the pill and will not eat anymore. We only got half of the 2.5 mg pill in her today and same yesterday. I think we will have to try to pop it down her throat. The pills must be extremely bitter. She ate the crushed Lorazepam in the soft food before the vets without issue. It is once she tasted the kitty prozac, she quit eating that food and was completely turned off by it. Even without meds, she will not touch it, unless the other cat eats it from the same plate.

Thanks Susan for explaining where the "kitten" heading comes from.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we get HK to take meds by crushing them to powder, adding a tiny amount of juice from a fancy feast flavor, drawing it into a syringe - not the kind for shots, the kind for stuff like this with no needles - and squirt it into HK's mouth. he's not thrilled, but he prefers it to our attempts to feed him pills.

or you could get it crushed and compounded at a compounding pharmacy in tuna or chicken oil base.

ExoticCatnip149

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been given tablets to give to my cat for her Rippling Skin Disorder and feline herpies breakout. She is taking prescription eye drops for her eye infection linked to her eye herpies, but it does not seem to be helping. The vet said her anxiety is making her susceptible to the herpies breakout. Her immune system has to fight it. She has that feline hyperplasia, but is not self-mutilating and has had the breakout for over 3 months. She was a ferral kitten, rescued. I am only trying to give her 2.5 mg a day. She had no issues taking cranberry supplements and lysine, but no matter which soft food I put the tiny tablet in, she stops eating the soft food as soon as she tastes the tablet. I had to get a new soft food because she did not trust the other one anymore. Now she refuses the new soft food. They only have the tablet form. How do I give it to her? Does it taste that bad?

Have you tried CBD oil? I'm currently using it now for my cats for anxiety and aggression issues and it has helped. There are a few companies that make it specifically for pets which you can find online. The product I use is from a company called Dr Hemp Dog, if you want to give them a shot. Helps mine really relax and it's completely non toxic.

best of luck!!

Molly1000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried CBD oil? I'm currently using it now for my cats for anxiety and aggression issues and it has helped. There are a few companies that make it specifically for pets which you can find online. The product I use is from a company called Dr Hemp Dog, if you want to give them a shot. Helps mine really relax and it's completely non toxic.

best of luck!!
Thanks for the advice. I just researched CBD oil and it is still unfortunately illegal here without a prescription. Hopefully, it will be legal once mj becomes legal.

ExoticCatnip149

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I just researched CBD oil and it is still unfortunately illegal here without a prescription. Hopefully, it will be legal once mj becomes legal.

actually, it isn't. Its perfectly legal to buy cbd products and even online. It's the thc that's illegal. try this website, www.drhempdog.com. after you sign up (its free) they will call and explain everything to you and you can buy directly from them. It's how I got mine and I'm in nyc.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried Pill Pockets or other pill dough? Hiding the pill in a yummy treat often works. Rolling the Pill Pocket in FortiFlora or other toppers help.s

Clomicalm is available as a flavored chew treat, oil suspension, and capsules from Wedgewood Pharmacy Clomicalm Medication & Information for Animals, Wedgewood Pet RX, Wedgewood Pet RX Try one of those options. Your vet calls the prescription in and then someone in customer service will contact you for your information and what form of the medicine you want. It takes a few days to receive the medicine by mail. Depending on what compounded form you choose, it may be a bit pricey.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had some luck getting my cats to swallow pills by rolling a small amount of cheese around them. A friend of mine mentioned to me that she has had success covering the pill in butter. I have not tried this yet.

Have you checked to see if the pill is available as a liquid? I was able to switch an antibiotic from pill form to liquid and it made things much easier.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We had a terrible time giving Gwen her meds when she needed three pills a day. Liver-flavored tabs helped for awhile, but then we tried pill pockets, a cat piller (a little device that helps pop the pill back further in their throat), putting the three pills into an empty gelatin capsule (available online), and everything else under the sun.

Do you have anyone you can enlist to help? I used to hold Gwen upside down and hold her mouth open and my husband dropped the pill in. She was really talented at spitting them out, so I also had to hold her mouth closed and stroke her throat to try to get her to swallow. That was the method we had the most success with, although I think it only worked about 65% of the time.

The whole process was really horrifying, though, and we constantly felt like we were torturing her. It's really hard to be firm enough when your kitty is struggling to get away from you. Good luck, and I can absolutely understand that it's not easy.

We did find that one of her medications was available as a lotion that was applied to her ears. It was the one we could be sure that she got every day....so it might be worth seeing if that's an option for your cat's meds.