How to give my cat exercise

newcat19

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't want my cat getting fat!

In the summer, my cat goes out all night & probably gets alot
of exercise hunting etc. But now with snow on the ground,
my cat hates the outdoors & basically sleeps night & day.
I try to get her some exercise, I have a laser light she chases
somewhat, but she won't just mindlessly chase it, and I can
only get her alittle exercise with that & the other toys she has.

Is there anyway I can get her to exercise more. The only toy
she really goes crazy over is a live mouse

Is there a good toy out there I should get her.

Thanks

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
da Bird with the feather, rabbit tail, or mouse attachment, and the Neko Flies toys, with the karantual, kittantor (mouse), or kragonfly attachments.

Each type of toy is a "wand toy" that requires you to make them move, but they're the best toys for cats that are used to chasing naturally moving things.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have "Da Bird" with the feathers (I didn't know about the other attachments) and my cats just love it. They are far more active with it than with any other kind of wand or fishing pole toy.

It works great for 4 of my 5 cats. My big old boy - the one who is overweight and really needs exercise - pays no attention to it, however, or any other interactive toy. He will bat around a catnip mouse a bit sometimes. Or he will chase one of his kitty siblings a bit in play (or annoyance). But other than that he won't move. He's lame, though, so that doesn't help.

Robin

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If health is the concern, I'd switch to indoor only. Outside there are dogs, feral toms, parasites, toxins, cars, weirdos, and when it comes to hunting one has to consider that grounded hatchlings and birds nests of the many endangered songbirds are at risk and more.

For indoor activity, if up to it, another cat is great exercise. Mine chase each other and wrestle half of the day. Jumping is also great exercise, so the more vertical options they have the better. Cat shelves and trees are great.

If you have tile/hardwood, I have found that those cheap little rubber bouncy balls provide a lot of fun. They swat em and they go flying at mach 10, and the bouncing really captures their attention. I had to buy two packs of 10 though, as they keep losing them under closet doors.

Last but not least, the hands-on wand toys recommended are really great, especially the Da Bird. And don't forget that they have both bird and mouse attachments for em. Cat Dancer and Cat Charmer work well too. For maximum exercise, I like to play near the table, in the bedroom, and couch, to make them really jump high and climb and work for it. Take breaks when they start panting hard though and let em catch it and enjoy it for a bit. Laser pointers can also be aimed on the ground and up trees to get them to use those legs. Cheap ones are fine, as you don't need a powerful dot. Rattle mice can be tossed if they fetch (still need to clicker train mine to return as they're still unreliable in that deparment heh).

Edit: here ya go
http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Dancer-CAT...2803143&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Bird-Original-...2803143&sr=8-3
http://www.amazon.com/Bird-Refill-Ca...2803288&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Dancer-Cha...2803143&sr=8-2
http://www.amazon.com/Rattling-Fur-M...2803288&sr=1-6

Bouncy balls don't get online, they have those cheap enough in the kids toy section of just about any store. Don't get too big of ones though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newcat19

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions.

I was gonna get Da bird one time, but it wasn't at my local
pet value store. Guess I'll have to get in online.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bastetservant

We have "Da Bird" with the feathers (I didn't know about the other attachments) and my cats just love it. They are far more active with it than with any other kind of wand or fishing pole toy.

It works great for 4 of my 5 cats. My big old boy - the one who is overweight and really needs exercise - pays no attention to it, however, or any other interactive toy. He will bat around a catnip mouse a bit sometimes. Or he will chase one of his kitty siblings a bit in play (or annoyance). But other than that he won't move. He's lame, though, so that doesn't help.

Robin
Robin, try the Neko Flies Karantula. Billy won't look at a feather, and doesn't get too excited about mice or rabbit tails - but give him a bug, and he goes NUTS.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Robin, try the Neko Flies Karantula. Billy won't look at a feather, and doesn't get too excited about mice or rabbit tails - but give him a bug, and he goes NUTS.
OK, I'm ready to try anything with him. Where do you get it?

Robin

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
...it "crawls" really well - and as soon as I make it crawl under something, he's all over it. It took a couple of tries initially - but now he won't let anyone else play with it!

mommysugar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I take low calorie cat treats, snap those in 1/2 or thirds and just throw them across the house for my cat to chase he loves that! I also toss them up his cat tree so he has to crawl up this floor length pole to get at them. Hope this helps.

mommyclimber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats love playing with toys such as balls with sound/feather. Some balls are weighted so they roll in unpredictable patterns. I have a motorized mouse toy and the cats love it. Sometimes I put it underneath a paper bag and they go after the bag.

They don't always play with them for a long time so I have to be creative in keeping their interest (the paper bag is one example).