How To Give Benadryl To My Cat

Tracy Branner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone tell me a way I can give my cat some Benadryl without him spitting it out . I have the kids Benadryl and it taste like bubblegum. Is the taste the problem? And should I swaddle Neyland in a blanket

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no easy way to give Benedryl. To them, it's like putting acid in their mouths. Not literally, they think it is. They will foam at the mouth, run around like they are being chased, and scream a little.
Just use a syringe or eyedropper and do it. Be careful not to aspirate them.
A towel is probably a good idea if only to protect your arms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tracy Branner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much.. Neyland was foaming so I was wondering if I was doing something wrong.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's critically important that you understand what "aspirate" is all about....when it comes to cats.

If a cat 'breathes in' a liquid....something that can happen very easily when you are struggling to hold the cat and administer the liquid - and when the cat is struggling even harder to resist and get away - and the liquid enters the cat's lungs, a condition known as Aspiration Pneumonia can develop. This can be extremely dangerous and cats are particularly vulnerable to it.

Never squirt anything straight down a cat's throat....your aim should be into the side 'pocket' or towards the side of the mouth.

You can alleviate the continuous excessive drooling by giving a 'chaser' after the medication. That can be a mix of tuna juice and water or honey and water (also given by small syringe). Most cats like tuna (so there's the 'treat' bonus) and, while cats don't have 'sweet' receptors, the honey+water (or tuna water) clears the palate and reduces the production of saliva (the body's natural attempt to do the same thing). The only exception to liquid 'chasers' applies when giving meds intended for absorption by the mucous membrane lining of the mouth (like the pain med, buprenorphine) or one intended to coat/protect the lining of the mouth/throat.

Hope that helps !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tracy Branner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you I thought about giving Neyland the pill form and crunching it up in some tuna. But I know some pills shouldn't be crunch.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
white shadow- is that only for liquids, or can a cat aspirate on a tablet like Drontal? When I use a pill popper, should I shoot the tablet into the side of the mouth instead of straight to the back of the throat? Great info, thanks.