How To Give Amoxicillin

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well, in my ongoing saga/panic with Simon, we have finally managed to pick up his amoxicillin prescription.

I was planning on mixing it in with a little wet food since he eats it up so well, but when I asked the vet yesterday, she suggested just giving it to him by mouth.

Now, I have no problem with trying to give it to him by mouth (lots of experience with miralax, lactulose, and mineral oil via mouth), but I’m just curious as to why she wouldn’t want me to mix it.

What do y’all think? Would there be any problem with just mixing it into his food rather than fighting him?

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:hithere:It's usually not a good idea to mix it with cat food. Cats can usually detect the medicine in the food and may not eat, causing you a new problem and wasting the antibiotic. It can also turn them off to the food completely causing another difficulty. Best to give it via mouth.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I think that's the only reason. They just want to make sure Simon gets his medicine, and when given in food, he may or may not actually get the entire dose. IF he will eat it in his food, and eats his entire meal, and IF the medication doesn't indicate to give on an empty stomach, you should be ok to give it to him in his food. Otherwise, best to just pill him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just tried to give him the first dose of 2ml - with him fighting me (even in kitty burrito), I’m not sure how much of it actually got into him.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't give any more medicine since you have no idea how much got into the cat. Maybe try a different approach at the next dose time. Maybe try meat baby food to mix the medicine in? Or canned tuna?

Ask the vet about compounding the amoxicillin. I have given my cat the pill form of amoxicillin before. I used pill dough to get the pill into my cat's tummy. Wedgewood Pharmacy has a chew treat form of amoxicllin as well as other forms: Amoxicillin Medication & Information for Animals, Wedgewood Pet RX, Wedgewood Pet RX

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to give a little update:

The vet tech called Friday morning to check in (I love that this office does this and typically it's the vet himself that calls), suggested that we try putting the amoxicillin into Simon's wet food since he was eating it so well. I mixed it up with the type of the syringe and he took to it really well.

I hesitate to jinx it, but he is slowly but surely improving. He sneezed quite a few times in a row a few different times on Friday, but it was gentle sneezing as compared to the very forceful ones of the last few days. I also didn't notice as much of the hacking noises. He is now back to seeking out some pets and scritches, as well as slamming his face into mine with head bonks, LOL

Hopefully this upward trend continues and that his next vet visit (which is on the 19th) is the last one for the forseeable future.