How to get your fussy cat to take supplements?

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have supplements in veggie capsules and tried mixing the powder in with the food, with Hydra Care, pill pockets (too small), treat, none of them worked, so started to syringe it directly in the mouth but my cat started to resist taking the supplements by foaming at the mouth and drooling all over the floor. Next thing I tried was putting the powder directly in the mouth since that was the only way to make sure she takes the supplements but as you can imagine it's very stressful and taste must be unpleasant. And she goes straight under the bed and she could be throwing up there. My last resort is to put a veggie capsule in her mouth with water, but could be it choking hazard? She also watches me when I prepare the food and goes away if she sees me handling the supplements.. I can't prepare the food before my cats go to the kitchen because they aren't hungry and don't come to eat.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
What about butter, or whipped cream/reddi whip? There's also meat baby food, tuna juice, sardines, kitten milk replacer as a liquid, not powder, grated parmesan cheese, Nutri Cal, plain yogurt.

I've also read that using a latex type of glove can be helpful so that the odor of the med or supplement isn't transferred from your fingers to the actual food you've put the item into.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's picky and doesn't like many things. She used to love hydra care, sardines, tuna but since I tried to mix the supplements with them, she doesn't even try to lick them anymore. I can't give cheese and certain foods because she has a high cholesterol level and I'm giving her the supplements for her heart conditions... the problem also is that the veggie capsule is too big. I attempted to fill pill pockets once and ended up with more than half a bag! :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Will try that. For now I'm just pop it in her mouth directly together with liquid treat, which seems to work.