How to get them to get along again?

YukarisCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I live with my boyfriend currently and we really wanted a cat lately, so we got one.

Well, not one, another one found me and we ended up getting two. Couldn't resist her round lil face C:

Everything was well until cat A decided to smack cat B for absolutely no reason. When we asked the shelter they said they usually got along when still in shelter. I didn't think of much because both cats are still very young and thought that cat A just wanted to play.

Now two months later I'm tired. Cat A basically bullies cat B at this point and just a minute ago, while I was cuddling cat B he tried smacking her face again but ended up smacking me because my reflexes were quicker this time.

I don't want to give either away because I love both and both love me equally (thus can't mentally deal with giving em away because why let either of them down??), how can I get them to get along or at least to get cat A stop bullying/smacking cat B at random times?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are they? Do they interact normally otherwise? Have you noticed any cuddling or mutual grooming? Are they comfortable around each other?

Honestly, if there isn’t any fur flying, and the cats are comfortable around each other a majority of the time, I wouldn’t interfere. Just sounds like youngsters establishing boundaries and figuring out who’s in charge, perfectly normal. Could be that Cat A is trying to initiate play, as well. By inconsistently breaking up their tussles, you’re just going to be confusing the issue, imo. Unless you have real cause for concern (fur flying, ears pinned back, one cat not letting go of the other), or they act oddly around each other after play, just leave them be to work things out,

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you think of young cats as children, then its easy to understand why a smack now and then is nothing. If one cat doesn't constantly (not just during the occassiional rough play, but basically all the time) seem scared of the other, you don't have a problem.