How to get Terra the Cat to the vet?

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Terra the Cat was recently diagnosed with an ovrr active thyroid and she refuses to let me apply the medication she needs for it, so made an appointment with her vet to discuss other options.

Terra HATES going to the vet, but it’s important that she be seen by him. Much like NPCs in Everquest can smell your religion, Terra the Cat just knows when I intend to bring her to the vet, she will climb to the highest point in my room, the top of her cat tower.I will tilt the tower onto my bed, forcing her to jump. She will then IMMEDIATELY hide under the bed, where she’ll remain aa long aa she feels she needs to.

I’m about 6 feet tall, and the cat tower is taller than I am. Does anyone have any tips as to safely get her from the top of her cat tower to her cat carrier as safely and comfortably as possible?

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever we need to put our cats in the carrier for a trip to the vet, we wait until the cat is calm then bring the carrier nearby. Then, when the time is right, we scoop up the cat, drop him into the carrier and quickly shut the door.

Sometimes, it takes two people to crate the cat. One person to pet the cat to keep him distracted while the other person gets the carrier ready. Then, we say, "Okay," and scoop up the cat and put him into the carrier. He'll never know what hit him until it's too late. ;)

Another trick is to leave the carrier out for a couple of days before it's needed. The cat will get used to seeing it so that, when the time comes, he won't be so "crate shy."

In fact, our cat carrier is out, right now. It is in the corner of the room and there are some soft blankets inside. Both of our cats will occasionally go inside and have a nap. In fact, if we can't find one of the cats, it's a good bet that they are hiding out in the cat carrier.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of my cats have consistently fallen for the leave it out trick. After a day or two of it being out, I toss treats, they go right in. Its helpful to have a two cat carrier even for one cat, more margin for error. And if you DO have to catch and transfer, a 2 cat carrier with the top load feature is very helpful!