How to get Terra the Cat to take her meds?

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Terra the Cat was diagnosed with a hyperactive thyroid earlier this year when her vet determined she was nearly 3 pounds underweight. Admittedly, she had recently come off a diet after my roommate noticed she seemed too skinny. Her vet also recommended that I switch her to wet food, and gave his approval for Smalls.

For her thyroid, my vet gave me the option of a teice a day pill, or a twice a day topical medication. Being that Terra is 12 and has never taken pills in hee life, I opted for the topical medication.

Terra HATES it, as I have to administer it on the inside of her ears. At one point, she took to hiding under my bed to avoid her meds. Just now, I tried to give it to her while she was eating, but I made the mistake of trying to hold her down and she began thrashing wildly.

It’s important that Terra gets this med twice a day. Any advice on how to make it ss strength free for her as possible?

the spare human

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I definitely wouldn't try to hold her if she hates it. When my buddy is being difficult, I take him in the bathroom an close the door. We just chill a few min and play(if he will) an then calm down. He usually just sit next to the door letting me know he wants to go. That's when I try to get meds or injections done.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might do better with the pills. I give my cat thyroid pills twice a day and I crush them and mix them with a bite of food or a lickable treat. The brand I use is Felimazole, which are fairly small in size, and she doesn't seem to notice them.

If you continue to try to use the topical version, try doing it without holding her down. And don't rub hard, it isn't necessary. A gentle caress or two is all that is needed. Also, don't go down into the ear canal, just the upper portion of the inside of the ear. I find it is easier to administer from behind her in order to have the easiest access, but if you do so, always pet her first so she doesn't get startled.

What is the dosage? And do you know what your cat's T4 level is? I only ask because vets tend to go too high on the dosage to start off with. Also, when are they rechecking your cat's T4 level again?

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Terra HATES it, as I have to administer it on the inside of her ears. At one point, she took to hiding under my bed to avoid her meds.
Sammie would do the same with the pill version. Eventually I got him to tolerate it by giving him treats or a meal after the pilling.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We follow medication with treats in my house and it seems to work well for us. When giving pills, if possible, we crush and hide in cheese pieces, but you could also try pill pockets.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise