How to get rid of raccoons...

jil05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone else had trouble with raccoons and their feral colony?
We have had a raccoon that had been visiting our cats food bowl, so I started to take the bowls up earlier. I always feed them in the morning and when I get home, but lately that has been a bit late. Now that I have taken the bowls up earlier, I found a feral kitten dead and it looks like it was caught by a raccoon. What can I use to get rid of the raccoon and not harm the cats? I am so mad, sad, upset right now! Lucky the raccoon isn't around right now!
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
JIL05

Oh, does anyone know why all of my former posts are gone and I had to re-register?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JIL05

Has anyone else had trouble with raccoons and their feral colony?
We have had a raccoon that had been visiting our cats food bowl, so I started to take the bowls up earlier. I always feed them in the morning and when I get home, but lately that has been a bit late. Now that I have taken the bowls up earlier, I found a feral kitten dead and it looks like it was caught by a raccoon. What can I use to get rid of the raccoon and not harm the cats? I am so mad, sad, upset right now! Lucky the raccoon isn't around right now!
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
JIL05

Oh, does anyone know why all of my former posts are gone and I had to re-register?
Jill...I'm not familiar with raccoon deterents...have you PMed Hissy?

Katie

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just looked it up on the net and apparently human male pee is the best raccoon deterent! heres the post:

But we have found a pretty effective deterrent that is extremely cheap. Human Male Pee (aka urine)

Yep, comes with a handy sprayer and is virtually free. Men living and visiting at our place have "border patrol" and are required to do their bladder relieving around the borders of the house and garden. Not even our corn gets robbed by the rascals now - (the cows. . . well that is another story. . . if I am home I shoot bottle rockets at them when they come too close. Thinking about getting a zoo to ship me lion or bear poop for them.
))

We are pretty secluded so it isn't a problem - guess if your neighbors are too close you could simply fill a spray bottle.

And don't ask me why, but women's doesn't work, just guys - but then the guys are the ones with the easy dispenser.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband does pee near the entrance of the hole under our porch (our feral's favorite spot). It has deterred skunks, raccoons and possums thus far. The cat's don't seem to mind at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jil05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
WOW! That's quite an answer! None of our males are willing to try out this theory so I am going to have to keep looking! I did find something on the internet -Coyote urine- that I will be trying. Hopefully it will work.

JIL05