How to Get Revolution Plus Topical on New Stray

Sharky22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Help! I posted on here last week when I was trying to rescue a young stray who had moved onto my property, who then disappeared after yet another bigger stray scared him off. We ended up first trapping the bigger boy and getting him neutered/vaxxed, and the next night, trapped the little one, and did the same. The problem is when we picked up the big boy, who's now named Desmond, from the vet, they told us they didn't apply Revolution Plus to him because they had already given him a topical dewormer and also that the anesthesia wore off very quickly on him and he went wild. So, they sent us home with a small vial of Revolution Plus and no advice about how we are supposed to get it on him.

I'm so upset! He really needs this treatment. 3 engorged ticks have fallen off him already this past week in the room he's staying in, plus he could have fleas, mites, etc. He hides out in a corner behind a bed in the room; he's not coming out with us in the room yet. My husband is now able to get him to lick Churu off his hand (he leans over the bed and puts his hand down to Desmond to do this). So, we tried to have my husband feed him Churu while I leaned over the bed beside him to try to get the Revolution on him, but it totally freaked Desmond out and he had a hissy fit.

We absolutely need to get this on him before we even consider introducing him to our other resident cats. We don't want to endanger them.

Is there any other technique anyone knows of? I'm really upset the vet stuck us with this, after we paid the amount we did for his visit. :-/
Any advice appreciated.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't care much for vets that act as though ferals can be treated the same as domesticated cats.

Credelio is an oral flea medication that also kills black legged ticks. It's sold by prescription, so you'd need to get it (or a prescription) from a vet. I use it on my two cats that won't let me near them. One gets it mixed into a little wet food. The other eats mostly dry, so I crush a tablet and mix it into a tablespoon of tuna juice. Credelio® — Monthly Flea & Tick Protection for Your Cat. There are lots of questions & answers about it at the bottom of that web page.

I don't know if this would work, but giving Desmond gabapentin might make him dopey enough that you could apply the Revolution. Or it might not. Hard to predict. It tastes dreadful - very bitter - so it also would need to go into some tuna juice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sharky22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, poolcat poolcat ! I actually do have some gabapentin that I could use, and I'll look more into Credelio. Thank you. These are exactly the kinds of suggestions I need. 🙏