How to get my cat to play more

Rshep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
My cat is a 4 year old male (maine coon mix), he used to play as a kitten but since he turned about 2 he just doesn't like to be active as much. He's been to vets, had checkups, he's healthy despite being a bit overweight, we are working on that at the moment. He will chase my other 1 year old cat around but not for too long and only if she's going nuts, otherwise he likes to play but only when laying down, he won't chase any toys either. I've tried laser pens since he used to love those but, he just wants to play laying down, he'll get up for a couple mins then lay back down again. I've tried mice, walking around with his food bowl, he won't walk after me at all, he just sits and waits for me to get back. He doesn't like toy wands either, also doesn't like treats so he isn't treat motivated. It's rare for him to run around, I just don't know what else to try. Any suggestions for toys he may like?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does he do just wet food or dry as well?

Routine is good for playing. But he might also need his play time to be behind a closed door from your other cat. Otherwise he can be too nervous that she will come get involved or interrupt to play.

Keep at it. If he's playing laying down that's a good start and you can build back up to running over time. Magnus was on steroids for a bit and got a bit chubby and would NOT run when chubby. It was as if he was too chubby to move even though he was only slightly overweight! Silly boy 😜

How did he respond to cat nip?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rshep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does he do just wet food or dry as well?

Routine is good for playing. But he might also need his play time to be behind a closed door from your other cat. Otherwise he can be too nervous that she will come get involved or interrupt to play.

Keep at it. If he's playing laying down that's a good start and you can build back up to running over time. Magnus was on steroids for a bit and got a bit chubby and would NOT run when chubby. It was as if he was too chubby to move even though he was only slightly overweight! Silly boy 😜

How did he respond to cat nip?
He is on wet food as when he was on kibble he couldn't digest it properly. I'll try to keep at it for sure! He loves catnip but he will play only laying down lol

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is on wet food as when he was on kibble he couldn't digest it properly. I'll try to keep at it for sure! He loves catnip but he will play only laying down lol
Play with him in a room with a closed door. Make it the same ish times every day and just keep at it. It takes a bit. Still playing while rolling is a good sign.

Instead of moving his dish you can try putting a little on a couple of dishes. Start with just a step or two apart and then work up to more movement.

If you're home and can take some time, you can use the same couple of bowls and break his portions up to a few bites per bowl.

Do you have carpet? He may need an area rug that won't move for traction. Many cats don't feel secure playing on a slippery surface. I had to get an area rug for Nobel. We got a rubber bottomed one from Walmart and it made a world of difference

Rshep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Play with him in a room with a closed door. Make it the same ish times every day and just keep at it. It takes a bit. Still playing while rolling is a good sign.

Instead of moving his dish you can try putting a little on a couple of dishes. Start with just a step or two apart and then work up to more movement.

If you're home and can take some time, you can use the same couple of bowls and break his portions up to a few bites per bowl.

Do you have carpet? He may need an area rug that won't move for traction. Many cats don't feel secure playing on a slippery surface. I had to get an area rug for Nobel. We got a rubber bottomed one from Walmart and it made a world of difference
I will try that, thank you and we do have a carpet

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats can be pretty particular but I've found the majority of cats will play if you find just the right way. How many types of wands have you tried? How do you move them? Some cat prefer air prey (think feathers and flying around and eventually landing... then the cat waits and pounces) some prefer ground prey that darts in and out of hiding places. Some like to be hiding in a tunnel (you can make one out of paper bags) or box and stalk their prey from there. Some like chasing and batting at long snake like toys.

I have found the most consistent way to get a cats attention on a toy is to fling it back and forth very quickly and then change up once they're consistently following with their eyes. Cats vision is cued in to fast movement so this really gets them interested.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes I'll agree with kakers. If I fling it fast in the air I can get immediate attention. I usually hold attention by slowly sliding the toy under or around something and then jiggling it. (As if hiding and doing something interesting).

Rshep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats can be pretty particular but I've found the majority of cats will play if you find just the right way. How many types of wands have you tried? How do you move them? Some cat prefer air prey (think feathers and flying around and eventually landing... then the cat waits and pounces) some prefer ground prey that darts in and out of hiding places. Some like to be hiding in a tunnel (you can make one out of paper bags) or box and stalk their prey from there. Some like chasing and batting at long snake like toys.

I have found the most consistent way to get a cats attention on a toy is to fling it back and forth very quickly and then change up once they're consistently following with their eyes. Cats vision is cued in to fast movement so this really gets them interested.
I've tried all kinds of wands, and different preys as well, he just likes to lay down and play, he likes catnip too, it's just he won't actually move around and I noticed he loves to bite toys as well. He will get in the mood to chase only sometimes maybe a couple times a month, when he's super hyped up but that's it. He will chase my other cat around but it's not as often.

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried whipping the toy back and forth to get his attention? Or if he likes playing on his back, start that way but move it away quickly when he's just about to catch it and see if he'll chase it. Do you move the toys in different ways? There really is an art to playing with some cats. Some will chase anything, others you have to do some real investigating to figure out what works for them and they can be so particular if you move it one way and someone else moves it slightly different they may only play with one of you that does it how they like.

Does he like kicker toys? That he can lay down and bite and kick? Sometimes when they get started on one you can grab and toss it and they'll pounce on it to play with it again.

But even just teasing him with a toy while he's laying down and getting him to roll back and forth a bit before letting him catch it is better than nothing!