How to get kitty litter out of long fur and paws?

lizzieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just started fostering 4 semi-feral 8 week old kittens yesterday and they have very long fur. I have them in 2 medium kennels and last night they destroyed their cage; water tuned over mixed with liter everywhere. I cleaned both kennels out this morning and they each have some chunks in their back paws and some in the tails and a smidge in their fur. I don't want to traumatize them so new into our relationship but I don't want the problem to get worse or uncomfortable for them. What it the easiest/quickest way to get it out while staying safe?

I bought a metal comb with two sizes to get the litter out. They are very hissy but when I scruff them to come out they allow it. Little to no hissing when I have them out and not attacking me but very squirmy and frightened - two of them will shake when I bring them out. One will eat food in front of me and allows petting throughout so she let me try much more then the others being the bravest. I got the small amount out of the fur on their backs but not their tails or feet. The brave one I dunked her back feet in water and then use my fingernails and got some out, but she was getting to squirmy and I didn't want to push it...then she used the litterbox as soon as she went back in some that was a lost cause!

Does anyone have experience or advice?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you using non clumping litter? If not I would switch. It's best for kittens. I would try taking a warm wash cloth and applying it to each paw. It should help the litter to dissolve.

You can also try a bit of petroleum jelly to help soften it up. You don't want the kittens picking at it and then ingesting it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lizzieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you using non clumping litter? If not I would switch. It's best for kittens. I would try taking a warm wash cloth and applying it to each paw. It should help the litter to dissolve.

You can also try a bit of petroleum jelly to help soften it up. You don't want the kittens picking at it and then ingesting it.
I had some non clumping but the person dropping them off gave me a donation bag of clumping and she said it should be fine...I hadn't realized how messy it would be with long haired kittens. I've switched the litter now.

I asked a friend to come over and one can wrap and hold the kitten and one can take out the litter. Wish me luck...