How to get kittens to gain weight?

Archiesmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I've acquired 2 kittens that im trying to help. They're about 7wks old, and mom had already weaned them and "dried up" about a week ago. She is a stray that showed up, and I will be getting her spayed very soon. Anyways, I've dewormed the kittens, and they are eating hard & canned food. Right now they're still underweight and I'm wondering what the next step to help these 2 gain weight? Thanks guys!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give them kitten food, it is much higher in calories and nutrition. It is good for pregnant/nursing mothers too. Kittens put out a tremendous amount of energy in their playing, often at the expense of their growing. Deworming is good, that will help, and you might get some goats milk to help too. Never cow's milk, kittens, and most cats turn lactose intolerant at a certain point and it quickly gives diarrhea.
Get mama spayed sooner than later. They can get pregnant within a few days or weeks of giving birth. I had a stray cat that I could not catch had litters only 4 months apart. She had 17 kittens in less than a year!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Archiesmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Give them kitten food, it is much higher in calories and nutrition. It is good for pregnant/nursing mothers too. Kittens put out a tremendous amount of energy in their playing, often at the expense of their growing. Deworming is good, that will help, and you might get some goats milk to help too. Never cow's milk, kittens, and most cats turn lactose intolerant at a certain point and it quickly gives diarrhea.
Get mama spayed sooner than later. They can get pregnant within a few days or weeks of giving birth. I had a stray cat that I could not catch had litters only 4 months apart. She had 17 kittens in less than a year!
Hi di and bob,

What kitten food do you recommend? I leave dry down for them at all times and canned 3x a day. Momma kitty lives at someone's house I know, but there's a program at our local shelter we're gonna have her spayed thru. She's a very friendly cat and is going to be living where she's been with the option to go indoors too.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really depends on what you can afford. Purina has kitten food, so do ALL major brands. The more meat products, naturally, is better, wet is better than dry as most will tell you on here. But sometimes with strays and ferals especially, sometimes dry is what they will get. Especially in winter. I have had cats survive on dry very well, and I have been feeding cats for over 50 years!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In dry food, be sure its most animal products. The fat content for kittens shall be 20-23%. Some cheap brands have about 15, which is too little. OK for adults but too little for kittens. The protein content shall be over 30%, good if its 40%

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A goat milk based KMR or goat milk with raw egg yolk can be offered. The yolk should be carefully rinsed with cold water to clean off any remaining raw egg white. Boiled chicken or boiled hamburger can also be offered (I season with only a tiny bit of pink salt, never the pure white sodium chloride table salt which can contribute to mineral imbalances).