How to get feral kittens out from under car?

PetraGrey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A friendly stray has brought her three feral kittens to me. Unfortunately, they have taken up residence under my car. I have tried to lure them out with smelly food with no success. They will come out when I am in the house and looking out the window, but as soon as I step outside, they run back under. I also tried hitting the remote lock which causes the horn to honk. That didn't help either. I really need my car! They are much too small to trigger a trap. Any suggestions?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My only suggestion is put a box with old towels by the car. I did that once and that was thier new home!

Sean35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Where are they located under the car? I'm thinking you should either put it in neutral and try pushing it to see if that scares them out, or hide in the car until they leave, then starting it and moving it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with both of those suggestions. Since you are on site with the family, you might know if modifying the box or bed in any way would appeal to them or, since they seem to want to be under something, maybe they need some sort of structure or box with a "roof". Carefully moving the car is also a good idea, and if you do that, you might have suggestion number one which is another shelter ready for them. Having a spotter as you move the car is a good idea. Years ago my husband left the door to an infrequently driven car open and a feral had her kittens on the back floorboards, so I do sympathize with you.