How To Get Cat To Eat?

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a sick 6 month old kitten. Here is the other thread with more details. Cat's Abdomen Is Getting Bloated?
He won't eat and we have been syringe feeding him, but he doesn't like being syringe fed. We have tried giving him boiled chicken, shrimp, and fish, warming the food, meat baby food, and parmesan cheese but he won't eat. What should I do? (We will ask the vet as well when they are open)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I will try those as soon as I can.

e_l_green

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your veterinarian also has access to an appetite stimulant for cats. Whether that is appropriate for your cat depends upon a number of factors (the most commonly used one is a human anti-depressant and has a *very* tiny dose that must be given no more often than 48 hours apart), but it basically saved my cat after a bad gastrointestinal infection left him nauseus and with diarrhea. Talk to your veterinarian about whether that's appropriate for your cat.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a good idea thanks. I will tell my mom ask the vet tomorrow when they call with some test results.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Depending on what is going on - and, the worst case scenario, you can tube feed your kitten. There are a number of members on this site that have done it and say it is actually much less intimidating than it sounds. Just throwing that out there in case it gets brought up - so, you don't freak out and automatically say no.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If we did tube feed him, would we do it?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If we did tube feed him, would we do it?
The vet would show you how, and I am sure they would help you initially with learning the 'tricks', but yes, many members on this site have done it at home. Don't go there just yet - I just wanted to mention it so you wouldn't go crazy if it was discussed as a possibility. I am guessing this would only apply if you can't get your kitten to eat using appetite stimulants and anti-nausea meds (if applicable). And, I will admit, although I recall your other post, I did not go back and re-read it, so I may be referencing the tube feeding 'out of turn'.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know we probably won’t tube feed unless nothing gets him to eat. He still does eat a very tiny bit by himself though (maybe 1 tablespoon)

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom I made the Pedialyte, since we don't have all the ingredients for the "kitten glop" yet. I am waiting for it to cool down to room temperature then I will give it to him.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried his regular bowl, and a paper plate, but he showed no interest. I will ask my mom to get some goat milk or something.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been syringe feeding him a little, but he doesn’t like it. He always runs away. He will probably go to the vet again on Monday or Tuesday and we ordered some high calorie and high nutrient paste for him and it’s arriving today or tomorrow.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found this thread, I didn't know you had another one! I have been keeping track of your main thread, and I just posted there, not knowing of this thread.
:paperbag:

e_l_green

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think when people say "tube feeding" above they mean syringe feeding. Tube feeding is, well, involved, in cats because their nasal passages are too narrow for a nasogastric tube as is used in humans. It generally involves surgical insertion of a tube at the throat of the cat that goes down into the esophogas of the cat, then use of a nutrient solution that is gently squirted into the tube via a syringe made for that purpose. Needless to say this isn't something to be done lightly -- you're talking about a veterinary surgeon cutting a hole in your cat, after all.

Syringe feeding, on the other hand, involves merely using a syringe to pop food into the cat's mouth near the rear of the cat's mouth. The only real issue with syringe feeding is if the cat manages to inhale food, which can lead to aspiration pneumonia.

Ideally you want the cat to eat on his own. That's why I suggested talking to your veterinarian about an appetite stimulant. The one my cat is taking is mirtazapine, which worked wonders for him, he is now eating like a pig and not vomiting up any of it either. It may or may not be appropriate for your cat, but talking to your vet about prescribing an appetite stimulant is worth doing before you start talking about surgical procedures.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I didn’t know what tube feeding was. When I syringe feed him he really doesn’t like it and I don’t want him to get too stressed so I will ask my mom to ask the vet if he can have an appetite stimulant.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A feeding tube has to be put in by the vet. The vet will then show you how to properly administer food and medicine through the tube. The type of feeding tube depends on the cat's condition and what the vet feels is best. There if more info here on feeding tubes: Feeding Tubes For Cats