how to get cat to eat healthy supplements?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
why keep twisting my words? i never said entirely plant diet but only small quantities.  commerical dry kibble quite a bit of plants in the formula as labeled,  do you have a report saying that it significantly impact cats' health on a large scale?

you consistently taken a hard stance against having any plants in the diet formula.  do you have any science/news source absolutely condemning any quantity?
LDG and others have repeatedly provided links (not books) that explain how kibble negatively impacts the health of cats. She has also repeatedly explained the use of plant sourced materials that she uses for her own cats.

Dr. Basko's site appears to be directed toward dogs (omnivores)...? He also lacked references/sources for his claims.

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

It says to use a syringe, which is one way to feed cats when they won't eat something otherwise. It also says to try mixing it with food and see if the cat will eat it that way, once the flavor is disguised.
I just want to add this to what I wrote above:

Both of these techniques are often recommended by people here on the forums when someone needs to feed their cat something that the cat would otherwise refuse. But, neither technique works for every single type of supplement/food/medication. That's why we wanted to know what, exactly, you were hoping to give your cat--so we could help out with the best technique to administer it. If you had been a little clearer in saying that you were wanting to give your kitty mushroom broth, we could have told you much sooner how to go about it.
No one here has a problem with giving your cat plants to eat, as long as the plants themselves are safe for cats and in quantities safe for cats.

Last edited:

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Let's back up a bit and see if we can see eye-to-eye.

Re-reading this thread, I think you will see that your questions about pumpkin and omega 3 are answered in posts #4 (by Willowy) and #5 (by vball91). Now we've talked about how to administer the mushroom broth talked about in the link you provided. Let's either stick with these topics (if you have more questions about them) or talk about another type of supplement, if there are others you are interested in. Just a note, this might require that you tell us about your cat's current diet and health, so that our answers will best apply to your kitty.

(Personally, I think the subject of the benefits/risks of kibble would belong in a different thread. Let's focus on the title of this thread, "How to get [a] cat to eat healthy supplements".)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: Seriously?

why keep twisting my words? i never said entirely plant diet but only small quantities.  commerical dry kibble quite a bit of plants in the formula as labeled,  do you have a report saying that it significantly impact cats' health on a large scale?

you consistently taken a hard stance against having any plants in the diet formula.  do you have any science/news source absolutely condemning any quantity?
I was merely pointing out the fallacy with the train of thought you provided. I never said you are suggesting a vegan diet.

And after everything I've posted, if you think I'm taking "a hard stance against having any plants in the diet formula," then there isn't a language barrier problem, there's a reading comprehension problem. Or you're just trolling and messing with us. :)

You have now been given NUMEROUS options and suggestions by a number of members, including myself, as to how to get plant-based food and supplements into your cat. You can either use those suggestions, or you can tell us which supplements you want to use, so we can make specific recommendations and suggestions.

And peaches, ONE of the links I provided was to a book - it was to the NRC's Nutrient Requirement of Dogs and Cats. But that is the only link to a book of the many I have provided.

holisticgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sure you can think your animal is healthy at 16, but problems don't just start in old age.  In people, no one "gets" Alzheimer's in their 80s...they get it in their 20s and 30s, but it doesn't really show up strongly until 80s.  The sister cats I had for 17 years, despite feeding them the best food I could find in the stores and for a while a homemade diet, passed at 17...one rather suddenly--seemingly healthy but apparently wasn't.  The other declined slowly (and all the vets I went to stunk, including a very expensive holistic vet).  Now that I have a new kitty, I'm working on getting him on a health plan now, while he's only a year old.  They need all the same things we do, for the most part...essential fatty acids, probiotics, no carbs / grains.  I highly suggest mercola.com--get on Karen Becker's (holistic vet) newsletter.  She definitely recommends a raw diet.  And when my declining kitty got advice from someone who could properly diagnose her (via saliva test) she also recommend a raw diet (which I got from tropicaltraditions.com but there are many out there). 

I'm looking for any suggestions to get supplements in...especially when you have a picky eater like this guy.  I have used organic meat-based babyfood in the past, but this guy is having none of it.  I may try making a meat paste from grassfed meats, freeze in baggies and thaw as treats to which I can add probiotics and essential fats--anyone try anything like that?

holisticgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LDG and others have repeatedly provided links (not books) that explain how kibble negatively impacts the health of cats. She has also repeatedly explained the use of plant sourced materials that she uses for her own cats.

Dr. Basko's site appears to be directed toward dogs (omnivores)...? He also lacked references/sources for his claims.
Check this out

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/02/17/dry-food-wrong-for-cats.aspx

Maybe NOW More Cat Parents Will Make the Switch from Dry Food

I don't want to paste the whole thing, as it's long, but definitely worth a read!  She also has videos and articles on how to gently switch your pet.  Do NOT force kitty / make her go without food--if cats don't eat their liver shuts down and they can die!  Take your time, this is a long term investment in your cat's health.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have come across a few of those reports. It is not the accepted opinion of the scientific community. The ones I have seen are written by vets. Most veterinary nutritionists do not agree that cats need any plants in their diets.Carnivores by definition do not need to eat any plants.Some believe that adding things like blueberries help with urinary health. Most believe just feeding raw helps with urinary health because of the simple nature of raw and the added water content.

holisticgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I have come across a few of those reports. It is not the accepted opinion of the scientific community. The ones I have seen are written by vets. Most veterinary nutritionists do not agree that cats need any plants in their diets.Carnivores by definition do not need to eat any plants.Some believe that adding things like blueberries help with urinary health. Most believe just feeding raw helps with urinary health because of the simple nature of raw and the added water content.
Of course most vets don't agree...just like most doctors treat eat body part as a separate "thing" and hand you a drug for that thing and send you on your way.  But that does NOT lead to health.  Also realize that there is a TON of money made in people being ill and the drugs they take for it.  But I digress...do your own research and don't assume that mainstream vets are the best authority.  3 of them told me my cat was "just old" and needed thyroid meds. The one that dropped dead rather suddenly had been to the vet for a minor eye irritation 2 weeks prior and that vet said "she looked great" and didn't even want a blood draw to check up on a 17 year old cat!  (who had lost a pound from her longtime norm, which was a significant amount for her small frame--it should have sent off red flags).  Be your own advocate for your pet and for yourself.  Ok I'm off my soapbox now!  :)