How To Get A Shy Cat To Accept Dental Cleaning.

Fbiuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. My newly adopted cat, Hera, has mild gingavitus. I want to brush her teeth, the problem is that...well trying to get her to accept it. She is a super shy cat normally and since we only had her for a few days, she would go hide if we approach to fast. What supplies should I use? How do I get the cat to accept a dental cleaning?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the site. There are quite a few threads on the site with helpful infor on cat teeth cleaning.
One of my cats has gingivitus from the age of 5 months. Had lots of tests but cant find reason. I use either Logic gel or CET. Both claim to work without brushing( although brushing is better) . You can dab it on her gums, lips or paw and let her lick it off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fbiuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the site. There are quite a few threads on the site with helpful infor on cat teeth cleaning.
One of my cats has gingivitus from the age of 5 months. Had lots of tests but cant find reason. I use either Logic gel or CET. Both claim to work without brushing( although brushing is better) . You can dab it on her gums, lips or paw and let her lick it off.
Logic Gel doesn't sold in the U.S according to Amazon. :frown: CET is available though thanks.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can get Hera used to the toothpaste you could try using an interdental toothbrush (ones for humans). Thats what I use on my cats, it took a few weeks but now they dont seem to mind. It is small and not so frightening for them. Good luck and let us know how you get on

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is a super shy cat normally and since we only had her for a few days, she would go hide if we approach to fast. What supplies should I use? How do I get the cat to accept a dental cleaning?
Let your cat settle into her new home first. If you try to brush her teeth and do aother stuff now, she'll get super stressed out and it'll take much longer for her to settle in if at all. Let your cat settle in at her own pace. Some cats only need a few days while others need a few weeks or months.

When you and your cat are ready for toothbrushing, use only pet toothpaste and a small pet toothbrush or finger brush. Pet stores sell various brands of toothpastes in different flavors. Try something fish or chicken flavored. Mint and vanilla is more popular for dogs than for cats. Offer a small amount of toothpaste as a treat. If your cat doesn't eat it after a few offerings, try a different brand or flavor.

Here's a video of how to brush a cat's teeth:

Brushing Your Cat's Teeth | Partners in Animal Health

You can find more videos on Youtube.