How to get 14 week old kitten used to grooming?

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi guys. 

My newcomer DLH Bagel finally has recovered from ear mites, fleas, coccidia, and an URI. He'll be around 14 weeks old. Now that he's not sick, I've been wanting him to get used to a routine for grooming. This includes teeth brushing, coat combing, claw clipping.

He doesn't run away from the comb I use which is great. However he has a tendency to bite the comb. I assume he thinks of it as a toy as kittens are energetic little furballs that can be really bitey. I can't seem to get him when he's calm or sleeping since he's quite a light sleeper! 
 Any tips? Sometimes I will have both a brush and a comb to distract him with one while using the other.

With claw clipping and teeth brushing it's a bit more difficult to approach him. Like I mentioned earlier, he's very bitey! I've tried just getting him used to the feeling of his gums and paws being touched but he gets me every time with his teeth. Ouch!

I understand that kittens just think everything is a toy and I try to redirect his energy using interactive toys. He just never runs out of energy it seems, haha. Such a difference since a week or two ago when I had to syringe feed him everyday!

Oh, and we do have another cat so he technically does have a playmate but... He's a bit too respectful towards her. I'm still doing the introduction phase so the dynamic may change, but thought I would mention that. :)

If any of you guys can give me advice regarding grooming my youngster, I'd appreciate it. 

Thanks!

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey Pinkman, it sounds like you know quite a lot already.  And congrats for making it through that long stint of illness - I speak with some experience of the workload involved!

I think you are right to get him used to what it will feel like to be groomed; handling feet etc.  I would up the play you are doing as a first step.  Getting him to a stage where he is energy depleted will mean he won't be so toothy immediately after a sleep - which is when you'd do your grooming/first steps towards grooming.  If he is feisty even immediately after a sleep, I think the play levels need to increase.  Aim for the flop - or two or three depending on how energetic he is.  Then arm yourself with a few 'distractions' - a soft toy to divert any teeth.  It's ok that the grooming stops and you go into play, as you are aiming just for small steps.  I'd also get treats - start with a treat, and then do the bare minimum of a foot touch before another quick treat (getting it done before teeth can  come out, and therefore rewarding the touch happening without teeth!)

When you have both cats introduced and bonded, I also found that modelling was powerful.  I'd get my big boy to 'show how it's done' to my kitten.  It worked the first time - she actually thought she was missing out on something and was jumping up into my lap (already inhabited with Kato getting his nails clipped) to try and get in on the action.  After I'd finished with Kato, I got through 2 paws with her !! Previously, I'd only managed 4 claws before it was too much for her.  I also use treats throughout nail trimming - it starts with some treats for each and every nail, and gradually you'll get more nails done before a treat.  These days, it's about one paw before treats.  But I always start the session with showing the tools, and giving treats.  I never hide/sneak around with them.  Oh, and both mine like to chew the brush too!  I have a lot of info and pics of the process up on my blog under the grooming section.

I also thought these links may be useful, given you have a long haired cat, and mine are short haired: 

http://www.wayofcats.com/blog/grooming-the-cat/202

http://www.wayofcats.com/blog/the-knotty-question/9102

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I've been waiting for the new kitty toothbrush to come in... Sometimes I will use the toothpaste as a reward for his daily combing. This seems to be a good idea for now. Not only he gets used to the taste of the paste but he also tolerates the combing.

Of course, I limit the amount of toothpaste and I switch things around by using raw ground on a spoon. :)