How To Find Veterinarian

Vandorlot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I just got a cat recently and I wondering what should I look for when looking for a veterinarian? I also want to find out if the cat is hypoallergenic so does the veterinarian need any special certifications to be able to do that? Thank you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Try the link below to search for a vet in your area. As far as the hypoallergenic issue, start with a vet of your choosing and ask about this matter. Most of the time, if it is food related, there are trial and error routines the vet would recommend with regard to ruling out certain foods. Most vets can talk to you about this and lead you in the right direction. If you think it is a skin condition, then the vet can help you determine if you need to consult with another vet that specializes in dermatology - but that would seem, at this juncture, to be a ways down to road, if at all.

AAFP | American Association of Feline Practitioners

How To Choose The Best Veterinarian For My Cat?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cat breeds are considered hypoallergenic because they have little fur (hairless breeds like the Sphynx) or the allergen that causes symptoms in people.There isn't a test to determine if a cat in general is hypoallergenic or not.

Ask pet owners in your area for recommendations. A lot of people recommend a cat-only vet but vets who care for all common pets work just as well.

It's important to have a vet you feel comfortable with. It's ok to "shop around" for vets to find one that you are comfortable with. Some vets may be dismissive of your questions and concerns. It's really important for you and the vet to communicate well and be on the same page when it comes to your cat's care and needs.

How To Talk To Your Vet

Be wary of vet hospitals that offer a free first visit. That's just to get new clients in the door. All the vet will do is look the pet all over, listen to the heart, etc. Vaccinations, deworming, tests, etc that are needed cost extra at whatever the vet normally charges which may cost more than at another vet hospital.

A low cost vet clinic is an option. Some places may only be for financially strapped people and proof of financial need is required so ask before you make an appointment.

When you do find a good vet, ask how after hours emergencies are handled. Is there a 24 hour vet ER in the area? A phone number for an on-call vet?

Is this your first cat ever? There are a lot of TCS articles on cat care, behavior, nutrition, etc to read through: Articles | TheCatSite

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might check the application "Yelp" for comments and ratings. Also check with the local rescue groups for vetenariasn recommendations. Thanks for the rescue!