How To Find Pee When The Blacklight Trick Doesn't Work?

hesster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My female senior kitty has kidney issues that result in large amounts of very diluted urine. I recently switched brands of litter to one I can flush and everything appeared to go smoothly. She is suspicious about litter box changes, so I took it very, very slowly and the entire process took almost two months.

She has been using the new litter for two weeks now and the level was getting low. I didn't want to just change it all out thinking that would put her off the new litter so I added more to the box she prefers along with some Arm & Hammer litter box deodorizer. I've used it with the old clay litter and she never had a problem, but for some reason she was like, "Nuh-uh!" and started peeing outside the box.

I have another cat and it took me a day or two to realize she was peeing where she shouldn't. I have since changed to a fresh batch of the new litter and she is back to using the box. She peed in a spare bedroom I use as an office (carpet) and on the kitchen floor (linoleum). I used Pee-eww (an enzyme cleaner) to clean both spots, but I have been keeping the bedroom door closed to keep her out and when I open it I can still smell pee. My living room and kitchen are the same room, just divided by a counter and I can also smell pee when I come in from outside but I'm not sure if she peed somewhere in the living room or I just missed a spot in the kitchen.

The thing is, the blacklight trick has never worked with her pee. It just won't fluoresce enough to see it, but you can sure smell it. Is there any way of finding the source of the smell without crawling around on my hands and knees and sniffing every square inch of two very large rooms?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SIGH...there is very little out there about this, sadly. I did find this, in reference to a specific brand, but they do bring up some possibilities.

Why Does My UV Light Not Make Urine Glow

I'm stumped. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Perhaps now that you've gotten one response, others will follow. It often happens that way.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried putting your other cat in the bedroom to see if she will sniff the pee spots out? I would think that she would go to at least one of them right away.