How to find an adult ragdoll?

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm starting my search now, because I'm hoping to add another kitty to our home in the next 6 months or so. All the cats I've ever had have been good old mixes, and I'd like to look for a more specific breed this time.

I've always loved Ragdolls. In fact Nya (while being your generic mixed house cat) had a lot of ragdoll qualities in her personality that I really loved. I don't want another Nya, but I do want a cat that will suit us the way she did.

I do NOT want a kitten. I've always said that Buddy is the last kitten I will ever raise. I value my fingers and toes intact thank you very much.

So how do I go about finding an adult ragdoll? I've looked on petfinder and it seems the only ones are in the US, quite a ways from me. Can I just e-mail breeders and ask? Is that the best route to take? What do I say?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ones on Petfinder may not be Ragdolls, they seem to name cats as a breed with no papers to back it up.

Check out breeder websites, you could also go to cat shows and meet breeders there.

Also, cats can be shipped so getting one from the US is possible.

You may want to familiarise yourself with genetic tests that responsible breeders use, HCM & MPSM are 2 issues I'm aware of but there could be others.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my 2 from a Purebred Ragdoll rescue, they work rescuing cats from closing breeders and BYB, for example.
You can also get adult retired breeding cats from breeders - very often reputable breeders have them; I think that might be your best bet there in Canada.
Raggies are wonderful cats!

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Check out breeder websites, you could also go to cat shows and meet breeders there.
We go to cat shows from time to time, and that's how we ended up with our third cat. That wasn't necessarily our plan, but we liked the breeder, and she had several adults available, some on site, so...a couple of weeks later, I drove to her house and picked up our boy! I liked being able to meet the person who raised him, and I like knowing breeders in general, as they have so much knowledge and experience to share.

Anyway, I would never advise against going through a purebred rescue, but I wanted to mention that I had a very positive experience going the cat show route. Good luck with your search!

ummm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

I'd definitely check the link Sohni posted. Also there are some purebred cat rescues out there such as:
http://www.catpurebredrescue.org/
http://www.purebredcatrescue.org
Two of our cats were adopted from http://www.purebredcatrescue.org and they are great to work with - I don't know it works though if you try to adopt cats from the US if you live in Canada? You can always email them and ask... They had people driving from New Jersey and South Carolina to adopt the cats in the past.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, I've gotten in touch with a breeder who is looking to retire one of her females in the spring (after her last litter is weaned/homed and she has been spayed). It looks really promising and the girl is gorgeous!! Wish me luck convincing the hubby