How to Feed Rad Cat?

nullentropy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I bought 3 tubs of Rad Cat, and to be honest I have no idea how to feed it. I took one tub out of the freezer last night, and it's in the fridge defrosting. How long can it stay fresh in the fridge for? Is it safe to re-freeze it after it's been defrosted? How do ya'll serve/handle Rad Cat?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rad Cat can be stored in the refrigerator for about two days; it can be refreezed.

How much you feed depends in part on how much your cats weigh.  I briefly looked at your other posts and I think you have kittens, in which case, you can feed them as much as they can eat.  RadCat may have instructions on how much to feed, that is a starting point, adjust according to the activity level and age of the cat.

PS:  RadCat is a great commercial raw product, well liked by many cats.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed a different brand, but the approach is pretty similar for all.

It'll stay good defrosted and in the fridge for a couple days.

Work out what your cat needs in ounces per day, then divide that by however many meals you feed per day. Put the appropriate per-meal amount in her bowl, and the rest back in the fridge.

Alternatively, to save some change, you can buy bigger tubs and portion it all out ahead of time so you can keep most of it in the freezer, and just put the amount in the fridge that you plan to use that day. That's what I do -- I have one small container for each meal, so it's all pre-portioned.

I usually put the container (or the bowl) in some shallow warm water for a few minutes just to take the chill off before serving. A lot of kitties prefer a room temp meal to a cold one.

Make sure the water's not super hot. That can potentially cook the outside of the food, and break down some of the nutrients.

I take the bowl away after half an hour or so. Your cat will learn pretty quickly that the bowl is going away, so they need to eat it when it's served. It only took a couple times with my cat before she was licking it clean by take-away time.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When I was buying radcat, I would semi defrost a 24 oz tub in the fridge for about 12 - 18 hours (yes, takes a LONG time), then I would use a grapefruit spoon, and cut thru the icee slush to pre-portion into 6 oz containers and refreeze all but one.  Then would take the others out as I needed them. 

But I wasn't feeding kittens
.  If I remember correctly, one 6 oz tub would last me 2 - 3 days, and then, since it was much smaller, it would thaw quicker too...

Oh, I forgot...you CAN defrost the tub in cold water for about an hour, then turn the tub upside down on a cutting board and use a knife to cut it into portion.  The only problem with that is you will loose all that good bloody juice unless you can catch it before it runs off the cutting board.  I use a plastic one for meat, but it would still run off the board pretty fast.  You have to get the frozen/defrosted stuff at just the perfect spot for that not to happen.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nullentropy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I defrosted it for ~18 hours in the fridge, and then spooned it out into Ziplock Perfect Portion Bags (the best invention ever for a single person or couple who buys meat in bulk) and put two of the baggies in the fridge, and the rest in the freezer. For supper tonight they got half of a Bravo raw patty and one of the scoops of Rad Cat, and oh my Lord. They ate the Rad Cat so fast, I couldn't believed it. They ignored the Bravo patty until the Rad Cat was eaten and then ate it. I'm glad to see they liked it so much and that it wasn't money wasted!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I forgot...you CAN defrost the tub in cold water for about an hour, then turn the tub upside down on a cutting board and use a knife to cut it into portion.  The only problem with that is you will loose all that good bloody juice unless you can catch it before it runs off the cutting board.  I use a plastic one for meat, but it would still run off the board pretty fast.  You have to get the frozen/defrosted stuff at just the perfect spot for that not to happen.
You can also put the Rad Cat tubs in a pan of water in the refrigerator and they will thaw faster than just putting the tub in fridge. I do that a lot when I want something to thaw overnight.

Last edited:

abbyntim

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed Rad Cat daily. I barely defrost a container in the refrigerator, just enough to dig out the food. Then I weigh and portion it into serving sizes and re-freeze. For serving sizes, I use 4-ounce jam jars. When I feed one meal, I move a container from the freezer to the refrigerator so it is thawed for the next meal. Is working great so far.