How to feed may cat with solid food, who does not eat

arikanisil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My cat is diagnosed with IMHA and bloodparasites. He has severe anemia and lost apetite at all.
He is receiving treatment for the diseases but he also should get nutriution well.
I am giving him a special food which is usually given after surgeries but it's fluid. And he has to eat solid food, too. I smushed wet food and added water, tried to give it with bottle because it has a very tiny hole. Injection is same.

what can I do? How can I give him solid food?

thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arikanisil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Edit: bottle and injection did not work. Sorry for my mistake in writing.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat, a small kitten, or an adult? You might suck up some watered-down food with a syringe and squirt it into the cheek, NOT down the throat, that may get some in. Now is not the time to worry about nutrition, just get him to eat. Try smelly things like canned tuna or salmon, fast-food meat like a hamburger patty or Arby's roast beef, shaved deli turkey, or something that works really well is those lickable treats that are in the treat section of a pet food aisle. Sometimes turkey or chicken in human baby food works well too. I hope he starts eating soon!

arikanisil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat, a small kitten, or an adult? You might suck up some watered-down food with a syringe and squirt it into the cheek, NOT down the throat, that may get some in. Now is not the time to worry about nutrition, just get him to eat. Try smelly things like canned tuna or salmon, fast-food meat like a hamburger patty or Arby's roast beef, shaved deli turkey, or something that works really well is those lickable treats that are in the treat section of a pet food aisle. Sometimes turkey or chicken in human baby food works well too. I hope he starts eating soon!
Thank you so much. He is not a kitten, is a 3,5 years old cat. And yes, I dont care about nutrition because I already give him some fluid nutrition, that part of the issue is well covered.

What I need to do is giving him solid food in order to keep bowel movements etc... So, what kind of food (salmon, tuna, beef etc) is not important here. I just need to find a way to give solid food to him. Otherwise, if I cant do this today, tomorrow our veterinarian will perform gavage feeding (which we are trying to avoid as much as possible).

arikanisil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Lickable treats! I will also try this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:

arikanisil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you live in the US, you might also want to try the A/D Recovery food - you can pick up a can or two from your vet, as I believe most vets have it in stock. This food is good for mixing with water to make a liquid form of good 'solid' food that can be given via an oral syringe. If you are unsure how to administer food via an oral syringe, perhaps this will help.
How To Syringe Feed a Cat | Dr. Sandra Truli Springer, Holistic Vet House Call Services (allpetcareanimalhospital.com)
Thank you.
I learnt from the article that there are different syringes for feeding, which has larger openings. This is what I was looking for I think. Because I couldn't get the food particles from the bottle and regular syringe openings before.

Will get it
Thank you again 🙏

arikanisil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let us know if the oral syringes work! :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:
Yes, it worked perfectly. I also warmed up the wet food in benmari style (as suggested in the article) and used oral syringe. He ate it. He also pooped, which means we have bowel movements.

Thank you again