How to feed cats with different diets

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have an older cat who is newly on a renal Diet which she hates, and 5 month old kitten eating kitten food. While I feed them at specific feeding times, they both eat their food a little bit at a time. So the result is older cat eats the kittens food unless I pick it up. Right now it works because the kitten is separated much of the day. But in a week or so she will be roaming more freely. So how do I feed them so older cat does fill up on kitten food? Is it really you need to feed separated and pickup food after a while?

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found success with the microchip feeders, but they are not cheap. I had a grazer, though, and that was the only way to make sure he was eating.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had success with putting the kitten food where my senior cat couldn't reach it. I still feed Magnus up high and the other two on the ground. They could get up there but are less likely to. We have to stand around and supervise sometimes...but less now that they are more trained.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats eatin separate rooms. Have you tried toppers like fortiflora,advita,freeze dried,other food mixed in

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Before I had Casper who eats the same thing as Scooter I did have another cat named Skeeter. At the time Scooter was on kitten food and couldn’t have regular food. So I would feed Skeeter on the counter that separated the living room and kitchen. Well it’s more like a built in shelf with the bottom shelf removed turning it into a counter. Anyway Scooter are on the floor Skeeter on the counter. I also supervised them during feeding time. When both were done bowls were picked up. It was like that until Skeeter sadly passed in 2021. Of course now I don’t have to worry about it anymore cause Casper & Scooter eat the same urinary food even though Scooter was the one that had a UTI it’s just easier for me to feed them the same. If you can try feeding them separately from each other. Then when they are done if food is left over pick up the bowls.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Daisy and Phoebe are on different food (weight loss vs anallergenic). Phoebe will raid Daisy's food any chance she gets. Only way I've managed it is to get to the plate before she does! It's workable because I'm home most of the day, but I don't know how I'd manage with wet food, which would be better for Daisy. I'd really have to stand guard then.

SandyK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, yes, or you could look into feeders that are activated by a chip and only open when the cat with that chip approaches it.
Before I had Casper who eats the same thing as Scooter I did have another cat named Skeeter. At the time Scooter was on kitten food and couldn’t have regular food. So I would feed Skeeter on the counter that separated the living room and kitchen. Well it’s more like a built in shelf with the bottom shelf removed turning it into a counter. Anyway Scooter are on the floor Skeeter on the counter. I also supervised them during feeding time. When both were done bowls were picked up. It was like that until Skeeter sadly passed in 2021. Of course now I don’t have to worry about it anymore cause Casper & Scooter eat the same urinary food even though Scooter was the one that had a UTI it’s just easier for me to feed them the same. If you can try feeding them separately from each other. Then when they are done if food is left over pick up the bowls.
What happens when your cat refuses the special diet?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can try toppers to make the food more enticing. Even if those toppers aren't strictly within the diet, it's most important that the cat eats :vibes::heartshape:

SandyK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can try toppers to make the food more enticing. Even if those toppers aren't strictly within the diet, it's most important that the cat eats :vibes::heartshape:
My problem is Milo eats the toppers, usually cooked chicken, but has turned off to k/d tuna stew. I’m going to try the chicken stew but there aren’t a ton of Rx choices

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We're going through this, too. Four kittens who need kitten food and Mama who. does. not. They're all grazers...and I was coming to ask what others did to manage.

I'm off to look up the microchipped feeders mentioned. They sound $$$$$.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found success with the microchip feeders, but they are not cheap. I had a grazer, though, and that was the only way to make sure he was eating.
Same here: a microchip-activated MiBowl is what keeps our picky grazer eating, particularly at night. Yes, it was expensive but the grazer's main food is a high-calorie dry food that our other cat can only eat in tiny amounts. Basically, the feeder means I can sleep through the night, the picky eater doesn't vomit acid when she gets hungry, and the overweight cat with digestive issues doesn't scarf-and-barf a dish of her sister's food. We had some really lousy nights before the MiBowl so it's been worth every penny, even on my rather limited budget.
I'm off to look up the microchipped feeders mentioned. They sound $$$$$.
We bought ours at Chewy because there was a full year to return it if it didn't work for us. Ireland started using it regularly within a day and we've been happy with it ever since!

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Same here: a microchip-activated MiBowl is what keeps our picky grazer eating, particularly at night. Yes, it was expensive but the grazer's main food is a high-calorie dry food that our other cat can only eat in tiny amounts. Basically, the feeder means I can sleep through the night, the picky eater doesn't vomit acid when she gets hungry, and the overweight cat with digestive issues doesn't scarf-and-barf a dish of her sister's food. We had some really lousy nights before the MiBowl so it's been worth every penny, even on my rather limited budget.

We bought ours at Chewy because there was a full year to return it if it didn't work for us. Ireland started using it regularly within a day and we've been happy with it ever since!
Would I be able to have all four kittens using the same feeder?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would I be able to have all four kittens using the same feeder?
It looks like you could. Here's the manufacturer's page, which says it can take up to 10. (!!!) Definitely take a look at product reviews and photos on Chewy and the manufacturer's site to make sure it would work for you and your cats. I don't know what the bowl capacity is (1-2 cups?) but it's definitely easy to refill. We love it but I know it doesn't work well for every cat!

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. That's very interesting! I'm not sure how well they'd take turns eating, though.

Maybe there will be a Black Friday sale.:)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, hilarious. Look at this DEAL on Chewy:
View attachment 462884
Yes, I've seen them do this with a few things, it's absurd!

I'd also wonder how kittens would do taking turns. There's another microchip feeder, the SureFeed, that's broader so they might fit better. That one was out of stock everywhere when I wanted a feeder so I defaulted to the MiBowl, which is probably better for us anyway because it's narrow, making it hard for the barbarian to get at Ireland's food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the replies. I have tried feeding in seperate rooms as we still have the “kitten” room. But that doesn’t always work as we both work. So since they are both grazers they eat a bit and leave it. I can’t watch them the whole day and don’t want the kitten locked up all day. Is there a way to train them to eat at once?

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm in a similar position and just ordered the SureFeed. I don't think you can train them. Some cats will only eat a couple of bites then walk away. You don't really want them to gorge as that can bring other issues. Had a couple cats eat too much too fast and regurgitate.