How to entice my cat to eat

chowchow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat got really tired of Instinct raw rabbit so I tried other brands and flavors which he likes, but it's given him problems. So I have to revert back to the rabbit but he'll take forever to finish his food so I have to sprinkle freeze-dried duck and chicken to get him to finish, but it still takes him a long time! It's like torture for me and I just can't spare the time! I'd like to hear suggestions on what else I can try, but I have to be careful because he has IBD so he has a HYPER SENSITIVE stomach!!

anariel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried the limited ingredient varieties of food? If you kitty has IBD, has it been diagnosed by a veterinarian? Your veterinarian or vet technician should be able to help you determine a good alternative to the rabbit formula since you guy's gotten tired of eating it.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My cat got really tired of Instinct raw rabbit so I tried other brands and flavors which he likes, but it's given him problems. So I have to revert back to the rabbit but he'll take forever to finish his food so I have to sprinkle freeze-dried duck and chicken to get him to finish, but it still takes him a long time! It's like torture for me and I just can't spare the time! I'd like to hear suggestions on what else I can try, but I have to be careful because he has IBD so he has a HYPER SENSITIVE stomach!!
Are you speaking of dry kibble or wet canned? I find the Rabbit tends to be a blander protein. Perhaps go with the NV Instinct LID Turkey next time which may be more enticing. There is a LID Lamb in the wet canned. I have fed the regular Lamb to my crew and they liked it well enough. It is thicker coming out of the can than some of the other varieties, and so I add water to thin it out a bit.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@chowchow, I remember seeing your previous posts about the raw rabbit. Cats do get sick of eating the same thing over and over. When you try other flavors/brands, you said your cat eats the food but gets diarrhea, right? Did you do a very slow introduction of the new food? Which ones have you tried?

You can get creative with all kinds of toppers for who knows how long, but I think your kitty probably just wants something different.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, please be more specific about what EXACTLY you were feeding that he doesn't like anymore, since Instinct raw does comes in several different types, including some variety of kibble, and what you switched to that gave him problems, and what those problems were. 

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder if lightly searing/cooking it every once in a while would work. Not bones, of course, just the meat.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

So I have to revert back to the rabbit but he'll take forever to finish his food so I have to sprinkle freeze-dried duck and chicken to get him to finish, but it still takes him a long time! It's like torture for me and I just can't spare the time! I'd like to hear suggestions on what else I can try, but I have to be careful because he has IBD so he has a HYPER SENSITIVE stomach!!
I can pretty much guarantee this cat is suffering from excessive gastric acid.   Taking forever to eat is typical as the cat tries to fight through the burning sensation in their throat while trying to swallow.    Typically they take a few bites, walk away, try again, walk away, etc.  This can go on for an hour while a cat tries to eat a couple tablespoons of food.   Often they will be messy eaters as the food bits fall out of their mouth during difficulty swallowing.

I would suggest 2.5 mg of Pepcid a day given in a pill pocket as they taste bitter.   Make sure you get the regular 10 mg tablet and split in quarters.   There is a Pepcid Max which is a 20 mg size dont use it.    You should see benefits in 2-3 days.  

Good luck