How To Encourage Others In Community To Tnr

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm just curious how you guys reach out to other members of your communities to further your TNR efforts. Our community has a large outpouring of support for dog rescue groups but support for our community cats is not where I believe it could be. I would like to get more of our youth involved but unsure how to "spark" their interest. :thanks:

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have a college in your town? My college required students to have so many hours of community service per semester. Creating a program to help with strays and TNR could draw student volunteers in and spread the word.

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could also ask local businesses for help. I'm not sure what your area offers, but around here a lot of kids are heavy into the skate park, and the guy who owns the skate shop is always actively involved in getting them into different activities and after school programs. I'm sure a person like him would be open to a "Skate for Cats" event to raise funds and awareness for TNR (Especially cool would be that the kids love to video and post everything. They could document how they help the cats and post it on social media). Or like a fun summer time cookout could involve all sorts of community members.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Wenda Wenda for the ideas! We do have a satellite college campus here in town and a larger campus one town over. They do have a "alley cat" program on site. I'll have to reach out to my friend who runs that for ideas as well!

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can try talking to the guidance office at the high school, my mom planted flowers for the garden club and lots of kids would come help! It was amazing, so many of the unreachable, “bad” kids would come dig in the dirt and help my mom. You can make a difference in many lives on both sides, that’s great you are thinking that way.:goodluck::hearthrob:

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is a fabulous idea FlawlessImperfection FlawlessImperfection !! How thoughtful of your mom, that really is awesome. :) Ok, the gears are turning now...... We just really have to get our kids involved in giving back in our communities. Something that would make them feel good about making an impact, on whatever scale plus feel good about themselves.

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is a fabulous idea FlawlessImperfection FlawlessImperfection !! How thoughtful of your mom, that really is awesome. :) Ok, the gears are turning now...... We just really have to get our kids involved in giving back in our communities. Something that would make them feel good about making an impact, on whatever scale plus feel good about themselves.
Thanks, she was a truly amazing, wonderful and unique loving creature.:angel3: I couldn’t agree more, we need more people who think like you! You’ll help kitties and the kiddies, both learning that giving and love and service make a community. Can’t wait to hear about what you do, keep us updated!:hearthrob:

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A way to reach the parents is always through their kids. After school program with rescued cats always captures hearts. Especially kittens. You could build a tnr program based on show and tell interest.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, that is so true! And it just so happens I have 1 cat, Barron, who escaped TNR efforts thus far. She recently had her litter ON a middle/high school campus. I have emailed the administrator requesting a meeting to talk about the colonies on their property. One of the things I suggested was getting the student body involved in "giving back to the community" by participating in things like making shelters for cats, feeding, etc. I'm going to have to follow up on that request. :) Thank you trudy1 trudy1 !!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You know what they say about “great minds”....ha!

I wish you great success. Please keep us posted. Maybe this will serve as a model for other areas?