How to eliminate cat smell completely

allypuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got our 2 lovely kittens a week ago. We wanted them to be as least stressed as possible and so before collecting them I had the cat carrier we purchased delivered to the kittens house so that they would be familiar with it. Which worked a treat in the fact that they slept during the 2 hour journey to my home and have settled in beautifully.
However the cat carrier stinks of cats (I am assuming cat urine). This occurred at the kittens original home as the house there was smelly of cats. They said the dad had taken to urinating in the sink. I have used a whole bottle of an enzyme cleaning product on the carrier and have washed it down with detergents but still it smells. I have had to leave the thing outside tied to the washing line as can't stand the smell in my house. Any tips on if it is salvageable?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That would all depend on what the carrier is made out of, and whether or not it has a removeable base(flooring). If cloth, try some of the suggestions in the article link below. The removeable base, if there is one, and it contains the smell - it probably can be replaced. It all depends on how it is constructed.
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens – TheCatSite Articles

In the future, for a new carrier or this one that is cleaned, a removeable base can be covered and secured in plastic (with a washable towel to cover it) - thereby avoiding at least that part from absorbing urine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allypuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It has a corrugated plastic base with a removeable cover. But the smell is on every single part of the carrier. I should have said it is a foldable carrier with fabric and the inside is like a heavy duty pvc. I don't know if has been urinated on or if the smell is just infused into it. I will check out the links thank you.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If an intact male has sprayed on it, it might be very difficult to remove the smell, and even if you manage not to smell it yourself, your cats still can, and I’d be afraid it can trigger them when they are older. I’d probably get another carrier.

Apogee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Carriers are often found at discounted prices on amazon, sometimes at a 1/3 the cost of what you’ll find in brick & mortar. I would just get another one. I found an amazon house brand ‘basics’ carrier at the ‘warehouse deals’ for only $12. The packing was damaged but the contents were new.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In the future, for a new carrier or this one that is cleaned, a removeable base can be covered and secured in plastic (with a washable towel to cover it) - thereby avoiding at least that part from absorbing urine.
Or line the carrier with a puppy pee pad :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allypuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your replies, alot of helpful things I can try. If all that fails I shall likely just replace it.