How To Disinfect A Soft-sided Carrier

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We keep our cat carrier in the garage. A bird has made a nest in it. Once the chicks have hatched and have flown the coop, how would I go about disinfecting the carrier? I know that birds can carry mites, and probably bacteria as well.

The carrier is a nice one, so discarding it would be s last resort.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I would scrub it thoroughly with soap and water. A disinfectant dish detergent should work well. You can use a toothbrush to get in all the cracks. Rinse with hot water. Then spray the whole carrier inside and out with bleach and let it air dry. It's a good idea to rinse it again with hot water before you put your kitties in it because the bleach, even dry, isn't good for them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't use straight bleach. It may discolor the carrier fabric. Use a diluted 10% bleach solution and use a fabric-safe non-chlorine bleach.

Keep the carrier zipped up or in a box or garbage bag if you plan to store it in the garage to keep brids from nesting in it in the future.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Oops, sorry. I didn't read the title carefully and was thinking hard plastic instead of soft sided. My soft carrier can be disassembled and the fabric part thrown in the washer. You could soak it in a disinfectant bath first rather than spraying with bleach after washing.

Marasoul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We keep our cat carrier in the garage. A bird has made a nest in it. Once the chicks have hatched and have flown the coop, how would I go about disinfecting the carrier? I know that birds can carry mites, and probably bacteria as well.

The carrier is a nice one, so discarding it would be s last resort.
I have one of those . Got it from another cat person. I soaked it in hot soapy water & a half cup of bleach. The container fit half at a time so i soaked for about30 minutes then flipped it to soak other side . Used about 3 - 4 gal.water, a squirt of laundry soap ,half cup bleach. Hosed it down in drive way to rinse. Dried out in sun. Worked for me

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Replace the pad and clean with diluted bleach water and then unzip and hang in direct sunlight.
Aside from airline travel in the cabin with you soft sided carriers offer no protection for your cat. Many hard carriers snap apart and store easily and are easy to disinfect.